Pros and cons of remeltable mold material

Submitted by Chris on 01/22/2004. ( ) 63.168.80.188

Hey guys, I'd like to hear about personal experiences or tips/problems with your remeltable mold material. Comparisons are very welcome. At this point, Vinamold is a little expensive. The other two candidates I've seen are:

1. White vinyl (Shore A hardness: 20) from Artstuf - $150/5 gallon

2. Elastack from sculpt.com - $250/5 gallon

Thanks guys.

Return to Molding and Casting Category Menu

stuff...

This response submitted by Raven on 01/22/2004. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Vinamold is the most expensive one that I've seen, and you get what you pay for. The stuff is AWESOME - I use it on lots of different things and after eyars of using it I still have only one complaint - I cant use it on frozen tissue like fish - it's just too hot. Beyond that it rocks. It would be nice if it were brushable, but theres ways around that.

Flexwax is OK... but you have to make sure you keep applying layers while the previous layer is still warm. If not you get chill lines and the wax tries to separate in layers as you demold it. A heatgun to flash the surface before brushing on your next layers is an easy way to make sure subsequent layers bond well. At usable temperature you can brush it on yoor own skin. While it's very warm... it's not 'hurty'.

They're the only two that I have a lot of experience with.

Artstuf's hot-melt vinyl

This response submitted by Creator on 01/23/2004. ( ) 12.221.39.89

Sorry, Chris, never tried them. I would like some information on artstuf's hot-melt vinyl, as well. Can it be used to create thin molds? Melting temperature? How does it compare to Elastack? Moulage is the only remeltable material I've used, and I didn't like it personally. Anyone tried hot glue sticks?

lightweight!

This response submitted by Chris on 01/23/2004. ( ) 63.168.80.188

I just noticed that a 5 gallon bucket of Elastack is only 20 pounds? That it really light. That's half the weight of water.

not really

This response submitted by phil on 04/23/2004 at 15:03. ( ) 68.10.113.41

It's not really that light, since it comes in little 1 inch cubes it doesn't fit like say silicone would in a 5 gallon bucket, so much of that area is air.

Elastack characteristics

This response submitted by Phil on 04/23/2004 at 15:15. ( ) 68.10.113.41

Actually, I just did my first mold with the normal elastack and I was fairly impressed with it in general, the reusability of it is great. Unfortunately a 1 gallon bucket because of the aformentioned air pockets left from the little squares is probably really only say half a gallon in comparison to silicone. So there's no real advantage of coverage vrs silicone/$ that I was hoping for. It's super jiggly, but the elongation is only 100% so it's prone to tearing. I want to get some of that extra durable stuff they have now on thier site that does 700%, maybe it'll be more restistant to reuse and undercutting.

Return to Molding and Casting Category Menu