recipe for modeling clay

Submitted by nat on 01/28/2004. ( ) 210.54.199.206

I have a recipe for quick drying modelling clay it is:

Make about 3/4-1 cup of clay

1/2cup plaster of paris
1/4 flour (can not be self rasing flour)
1/4 water
Powered colouring if wanted

Mixed all the stuff together and model dries overnight

Tip: if having trouble getting the moudles to stand up make a rough frame using wooden skewers and a glue gun then make your model over top of that

Return to Molding and Casting Category Menu

Uh........nat

This response submitted by George on 01/28/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.102

That's NOT modeling clay. That's PLASTER, and cheap plaster at that.

Your wrong

This response submitted by nat on 01/29/2004. ( ) 210.54.114.12

No its not, I actually do model stuff out of it.

You can model....

This response submitted by Raven on 01/29/2004. ( ) 24.150.166.254

You can model stuff out of cat crap too, that doesn't make it modelling clay...

what you made is actually a gluten glue with a little plaster mixed in so it doesn't fall all over your table. Ever use flour and water to make paste for paper crafts in grade school? Same idea with some plaster tossed in.

*WE* don't make clay - nature does - it's a naturally occuring material. We can augment it tho - make it oil based instead of water based like Plasticence, Kleen Klay and Roma Platilene etc, or use various chemicals and make it into polymer clay like Fimo and the various Sculpeys. I, like George, have to disagree with calling it modelling clay however. As for it's effectiveness in sculpting? It may be fun to work with and affordable, but I'd still discourage it's use in any applicaitons I can think of at present. Just my opinion...

Cool

This response submitted by Creator on 02/04/2004. ( ) 12.221.39.89

"clay" is a generic word that refers to any sculpting medium with similar properties of natural clay, just as "rubber" does not necessarily refer to latex.

nat, I say, use whatever works ;) but if you're trying to save money, I would suggest water based clay. You can get it for practically nothing at local ceramic supply, $10-$15 per 50LB. IT works ok for larger sculptures but you have to hollow and babysit it with a spray bottle to prevent it from cracking. I have tried just about every medium there is. I prefer prima for average sculptures and castilene wax for extremely tight detail (ie, small faces the size of a thumbnail, jewelry, etc).

Raven you use the cat crap

This response submitted by stewartsfineart on 02/07/2004. ( ) 205.188.208.135

nat when one try's new stuff you are ahead of the rest Raven sound's like all she know's how to do is buy what others have invented but it is Just my opinion...

Hey Stewart...

This response submitted by Raven on 02/08/2004. ( raven@trillium-hills.com ) 24.150.166.254

First of all - Im a guy - not a chick..

Secondly - if you have so much to say to me - email me and dont hide behind posts.

Thirdly - I have used dozens of different sculpting products over the years. I use what I use because it is the BEST. I don't have the inclination to reinvent the wheel. Ya wanna save a few bucks - make your own kitchen fun stuff. You want to create the highest quality stuff you can? Get professional materials.

To ANYONE that posts here - keep in mind - this is NOT a molding and casting forum - and this is NOT an art forum... this is a TAXIDERMY forum and the molding and casting discussions here are meant to help those taxidermists. All of the seasonned taxidermists out here would rip you a new one for suggesting the use of inferior products and turning back the progress gleaned from experience. Using your home made clay recipes is about as helpful as telling someone to clean
hides and capes with gasoline. Update your techniques and get out of the stone age.

accidental voyeurism

This response submitted by Two Cents on 02/10/2004. ( ) 216.229.184.40

dear raven and all concerned,
I found this discussion because I was looking for a non-toxic oil-based modelling clay recipe for my kids. I had no idea I was in the realm of taxidermy until I got to the "get out of the stone age" message. There's nothing quite like the idiosyncratic bickering of the newsgroup or "forum" as you call it. But I should like to point out, in the interest of your chosen profession or hobby, which is also an interest of mine, that exploring past technology is not necessarily a form of regression. Take the soft-shell parka. Take the lacquered papier-mache helmet of ancient China, which survives to this day. Gluten glue is one of the most durable and versatile substances "man" has come up with, not an environmental bane or non-renewable resource like gasoline. It's simply the right tool for the job sometimes. Noone need agree with that, however--if someone uses the word "clay" with no more discretion than is typical in these spitting contests, perhaps the motivation for criticism deserves more attention.

correction

This response submitted by Two Cents on 02/10/2004. ( ) 216.229.184.40

Oops, I meant to write "Gluten Glue", in quotes, since the gluing action has to do with the starch, not the protein. Excuse me.

Bottom line is...

This response submitted by Raven on 02/11/2004. ( ) 24.150.166.254

This is not an arts n crafts forum - this is for taxidermists. Although we DO get off topic now and then - I do not think it is responsible to pass on advice that would hinder someones taxidermy projects. SO - all the power in the workd to ya if ya wanna make home made clay... feel free to post that information on one of the many many OTHER sites where the nostalgia of materials from days gone by can be appreciated for their artistic merits. Time for this site to get back to taxidermy - no more christmas gifts or car parts.. geeeeeez!

Clay Recipe

This response submitted by Thomas on 02/14/2004. ( ) 64.158.115.126

In my opinion I feel Nat maybe on the right trax at least he is experimenting & maybe in time he will come out with a product better than critter clay that even Raven will buy & praise.I to like to experiment & try new things & I am going to test Nats recipe.Further more I am going to hide behind this post in fear that syco Raven might go (Rambo-Ape-órap).Raven I think your mind is channel surfing!

Right track?

This response submitted by Raven on 02/15/2004. ( ) 24.150.166.254

How is re-creating something that was deemed virtually obsolete 30 years ago on the right track?

You guys SO miss the obvious sometimes its scary.

WHEN someone has a product thats better than something else - go ahead and post it. If I design a better mouse trap I'll be sure to patent it - but until then Im not gonna make a post about how hitting a mouse with a big rock works wonders and expect people to think Im 'on the right track' and have come up with some fascinating new idea.

One more thing...

This response submitted by Raven on 02/15/2004. ( ) 24.150.166.254

This stuff Nat is making is NOT NEW. So throw that idea right out the window. I was making this stuff in grade 2 for crying out loud. If it's such an awesome innovative over the top product - why isn't it used industry wide some 30 years later? Its INFERIOR in many ways - thats why. What next? Are we to tell people that before mounting their valued hides they need to wrap a wire frame with excelsior and pack it with straw? If y'all love nostalgia so much thats all fine and good - my concern is that new people coming to taxidermy are going to read ideas like this that are incredibly outdated and cheap (as George stated above) and think it's fine to use the things; get frustrated because they don't work anywhere NEAR as well as MODERN products - and end up doing crap looking mounts. This is turn leads to more frustration and they come back and post here saying their mount looks like hell and stuff is crumbling away and cry n moan over how bad everything is going because of this 'clay'; then the experienced people here have to go back and say "well why did you use that crap baking mix with plaster instead of coughing up a couple bucks and get the right material the first time?". It happens out here all the time - nearly every day... and it's getting worse with all these artsy types who are finding these TAXIDERMY forums who try to validate the substitution of a quality product for some 'fun' art medium. So am I frustrated by posts like this from cheapskates who offer up half baked ideas in an attempt to save 60 cents and whose 'advice' can do more harm then good? Hell ya - you bet I am - and rightfully so. Why do you think things like critter clay etc got to where they are? By being better than pancake batter and plaster. It pains me to have to keep rehashing the obvious so much.. geeeez. Id love to know everyone who is using this flour plaster concoction so we can post their names somewhere as people to be cautious of doing business with. What other short cuts are they taking? What corners are they cutting?

Whatever - you guys go ahead and use your flour plaster... as ususal, George and John and Yox and others will be here to bail you out when you screw up and ignore an archive FULL of information and went ahead and saved your precious 60 cents instead of doing it right the first time.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel as George so wisely says.

WHATEVER

This response submitted by TOM on 03/11/2004 at 03:26. ( ) 203.220.161.194

That's not right, you are all wrong

You're all sickies...

This response submitted by Timmy Schmuckatelli on 03/14/2004 at 16:54. ( ) 68.107.66.10

I found myself looking for a "clay" recipe, and find myself reading a 5 page disertation on home taxidermy. What the hell do you people do? Wait for the neighbors cat Fluffy to get run over and then offer some macabre home project so they sit the bloody thing on the mantle? Or do you actually go out and run the cat down too?

Wow you guys...

This response submitted by Robert on 03/14/2004 at 17:11. ( ) 68.195.97.183

Wow guys and girls... I was just skimming the net, looking for a good beginners clay to make a dragon model with, and I found this. I read the whole thing, surprisingly, because this guy Nat looks more and more ridiculous everytime he posts.

Regardless of what this message board is made for, someone posted a recipe that they thought might help some people. He didn't say he found a new recipe that will dramatically revolutionize clay and the sorts. Nat - you couldn't help but to shoot him down for it. C'mon man, be a better person than that.

You like to use proven things, he likes to experiment. That's why you are who you are, and he is who he is. Just because he may have not known that all of you already know about that particular recipe (or similar ones) doesn't mean you have to act like some know-it-all who thinks anyone without your experience or knowledge is inferior. RELAX DUDE.

give it a break

This response submitted by b wise on 03/16/2004 at 12:40. ( ) 152.163.252.102

you people need to grow up. the man posted a recipe, he didn't say that this is the best stuff and you must all use it! He said he liked it an it worked for him and he offered it to others. If you think it is crap, click past it, if not try it. But must you act like an immature child with your ranting about how bad it is. I myself am looking for something for my children to play with that we can make together and I can throw it away when we are done, and save a buck too. so see it worked for someone else. Thank you for the recipe Nat

You need help....

This response submitted by Rapidrat on 03/25/2004 at 14:12. ( ) 81.79.131.51

Eh you guys that think your sooo great about posting how bad it is.....SO WHAT...GROW UP....or maybe you are still in grade two!

fssds

This response submitted by fsddfd on 03/25/2004 at 14:13. ( ) 81.79.131.51

dssddss

you stupid pricks

This response submitted by stephen hansords on 03/30/2004 at 08:03. ( ) 195.194.74.34

everybody no`s that the best thing to model with is human excrement because it is so soft and maluble you can do anything with it.!

Yes Okay

This response submitted by Superman on 04/30/2004 at 23:21. ( ) 67.233.145.118

Dude you make clay for anything, it works..it better. I think you are totally wack, dude...

Uh....Who Cares

This response submitted by Carl 14 (im not a boy) on 05/07/2004 at 19:13. ( ) 64.56.136.26

SHUT-UP all of ya. Let Nat do what he wants. AND STOP COMPLAINING!
Stop depating cause it won't do nothing.

Can You call it Clay?

This response submitted by Alluree Raj on 05/11/2004 at 03:31. ( rajuakm@yahoo.com ) 61.11.99.173

I don't find it so manageable like oil-based clay. Does'nt serve my purpose.Could someone give me a recipe for Clay sculpting like they do for designing Cars, etc?

get a life

This response submitted by mature on 05/20/2004 at 21:21. ( ) 65.94.63.137

People can put whatever they want on the internet, if you do not agree with it, just let it be. I found this conversation so hurting that I had to respond to it, you must have a lot of time on your hands.

Return to Molding and Casting Category Menu