Sheep Horn Molds

Submitted by Jason on 3/2/06 at 11:14 PM. ( Jason@theantlershack.com ) 216.166.159.185

I am wanting to make a mold from a bighorn sheep. I was told that brush on 40 from smooth on was a good rubber to use. I was also told to use hs2 rtv from dow corning. The price difference is quite a bit. My question is what do you guys recomend? If you think hs2 is the best where can I get it in 1-5 gallons? For the casting resin I was told smooth cast 326 is a excellent product. I don't mind paying a little more for the more expensive products but is the extra cost worth it? Any help would be greatly apeciated.

Return to Molding and Casting Category Menu

Horn mold

This response submitted by stanley on 3/3/06 at 9:50 AM. ( townsend@airnetgroup.net ) 64.203.99.86

Hi Jason,

If you are going to be casting more than one or two cast from the mold, then I would strongly advise you to use a silicone as a molding material. Polyurethane casting material are exotherm producting materails an are vary aggressive on the mold. Plus if you use a polyurethane mold material and cast a polyurethane material into the mold,you will need to use a release agent in the mold.This works some of the time but not all the time...so, you could end up with only one cast from your mold and have to make a new mold again. Use silicone as your mold, silicone do not need a release agent.
Go to www.themoldmakersstore.com for more info on products.

Return to Molding and Casting Category Menu