Boa?

Submitted by Rob on 01/10/2004. ( ) 166.102.121.42

I have inherited a frozen snake from a landlord that was cleaning out a recently vacated apartment. He said he opened the freezer and there it was, and he wanted to get rid of it. My problem is, I am not sure if it is a Boa, Python or what it is. It is 45" long and approximately 51/2" in circumference. It has round reddish patterns on a tan looking skin. Does anyone know what it may be?
Thanks, Rob

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

It is either a columbian red-tail boa or a ball pyhton

This response submitted by wetnwild on 01/10/2004. ( ) 24.128.109.191

One ot the other

So many possiblities.

This response submitted by xttxy on 01/13/2004. ( deathful_dia@hotmail.com ) 24.141.88.105

A little bit more information would be helpful, but I guess it's pretty hard when it's a randomly found snake. =] Possibly get a picture. What sort of shape is it's head?

If it's a pet, at 45" it could be a young cornsnake, rat snake, milksnake, kingsnake, pinesnake ect... all come in a wide range of colors and patterns. Most get 3-4" long as adults, so it might have been a young snake.

Now it might just be a wild caught native snake that got in the wrong place at the wrong time. If that's the case try looking up online listing of local snakes. There's plenty of site with great photos for all regions.

In response/addition to the above post:
Ball pythons are typicaly dark to light brown, ones with red coloring are typicaly expensive morphs and normaly if you're going to spend that much money on a snake you'll know how to keep it. [If it was a BP it wouldn't be full grown at 45" males normaly top out at 4' and females can get around 5']

Red-tails are tan-brown, with a deep red tail, very distinctive. But once again it's the same thing. These animals get huge, normaly 10 feet. I'm not sure how big neonates are off the top of my head, but if this snake was a BCI it would have to have died quite young to be that small.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu