Preserving shed snake skin

Submitted by Amy on 02/01/2004. ( ) 153.107.47.81

I have a snake skin that i would like to keep, but do not really want it to go extrememly hard and loose colour. Is there an oil i can use to soften the skin, and help it retain it's colour?

Its a really nice dark brown.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Is it a skin or a shed?

This response submitted by wetnwild on 02/01/2004. ( ) 24.128.109.191

is it a skin or a shed, you have both as description?

a shed?

This response submitted by Amy on 02/02/2004. ( ) 153.107.47.83

Its what the snake left behind - but i haven't seen the snake. sorry i have no idea about lingo...

you can try

This response submitted by wetnwild on 02/02/2004. ( ) 24.128.109.191

The snake shed, is dead skin, and after it dries out is very fragile. If it is fresh, it will be limp and sem pliable and damp to the touch. As it dries however, it will lighten up and most of the marking will fade. You cannot stop this except if you want to reairbrush the tones back in. Like I said, this is dead skin similiar to the peeled skin you get after a sunburn. The best bet is to spray it with an aerosol hirspray to fix the shed, and then put it in a glass jar or shadow box for display. You could try re-oiling it so to speak with glycerin or other emolient creams, but be careful not to pull or stresss it too much as it will just fall apart. Maybe someone else can offer more advice!

Thanks

This response submitted by amy on 02/02/2004. ( ) 153.107.47.85

Cheer for that, it is only a couple of weeks old, so i think that your advice will work out well...

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu