Frog Skin Presservation

Submitted by Scott Malone on 02/11/2004. ( malone1@charter.net ) 24.171.80.30

I am planning to make some of my own (wood) fishing lures and I would like to stretch real frog skin (back leg) over some of them.
The Paw Paw Bait Company did this several years ago with some of their lures and I have not been able to find any information on how they preserved the frog skin--I obviousely have very little knowledge in this area and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott Malone

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

first

This response submitted by wetnwild on 02/11/2004. ( ) 24.128.109.191

You can soak the skins in denatured alcohol for a few days till cured. then relax in water for about 5 minutes, and pull the leg over the bait. Glue it on at each end, and then pour a nice thick coat of envirotex or any other sealet that will withstand water, UV rays ect without yellowing. the trick is to totally seal the skin so weather and water cannot get to it.

Frog Skin

This response submitted by Scott Malone on 02/11/2004. ( malone1@charter.net ) 24.171.80.30

Dear wetnwild,
Thanks for your advice--I'll give it a try (In a few months--no frogs available in Indiana at the moment) and let you know the results...any advice on what type of glue to use?
Thanks for your time and consideration in regard to this matter
Scott Malone

waterproof

This response submitted by wetnwild on 02/11/2004. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Anything that is waterproof and not have a reacytion to the sealer and clear coat. A good epoxy hide paste would work. Try Epo-Grip

sounds like a waste of time

This response submitted by jeremy on 02/12/2004. ( ) 68.192.187.157

if it is getting sealed whats the point. just paint it, you will probably get snagged and loose it anyway. you are most likely going for bass, they are stupid bigmouth freaks who choose to bite depending on planetary alignment. I was in the process of getting skunked one day, went through all the rapallas, bass assassins, worms everything in the box. I flicked a cigarette but into the water next to my kyak and a 3-5lb bass came clean out of the water for it. still didnt catch one the rest of the day. moral of the story is that its time on the water that catches fish, not stretched frog skin. if you do make the lure put it on the mantle as an eye catcher not a fish catcher.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu