Old Rattler Needs Painting

Submitted by Marc on 03/01/2004 at 15:40. ( ) 206.138.130.2

I,ve come across an old timber rattler that is completly washed out. It is old and a very large snake deserving of being saved. Is it possible to paint these creatures ?

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

yup

This response submitted by wetnwild on 03/01/2004 at 15:45. ( voyer1@aol.com ) 24.128.109.191

Send me an e-mail or send me your phone number and we can talk about it

All mounted reptiles need to be painted

This response submitted by PA on 03/01/2004 at 18:03. ( ) 24.3.205.80

Your mount may have been preserved without painting the finished mount, and the color went. A properly mounted specimen will be painted with light fast colors that should last several lifetimes.

Not true PA

This response submitted by wetnwild on 03/01/2004 at 20:32. ( ) 24.128.109.191

many reptiles do not need to be painted aftre mounting. Pythons, collubrids ect except for the modeled or repaired areas keep al their color, and a good sealer coat will bring back all the lustre to the coloration of the hide. Rattlesnakes especially if they have had a recent shed, do not need a paint jb to retain color. Same results as above. if the outer epidrmal layer slips like on monitors ecte ct, then yur tones will have to be rehighlited to bring back the rich natural tones. It all depends on which preservation method you are using also.Like all things in taxidermy, it depends on the subject matter at hand. a generalized idea FOR ALL SPECIES IS INCORRECT!

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu