Rattlers bite after dead

Submitted by Ashton Smith on 03/08/2004 at 16:26. ( devilboy174@hotmail.com ) 205.173.47.254

Hey, isnt it true that rattlers bite after they die? Does anyone know where i can get one just raw dead?

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

NO!

This response submitted by wetnwild on 03/08/2004 at 17:09. ( ) 24.128.109.191

The only way it will bite you is if you stick your hand in the mouth, and wack it closed on your hand. The venom is greatly reduced when the ratller has been dead for a time, and since he is dad, he cannot pump it through his fangs to getya. BUT! If yu are skinning out the head and stab yourself with the fangs, and sqeeze the venom sacks in back of the eyes along the jaw muscles, you can envenomate yourself, but like stated earlier, since venom is a protein, its ability as a neurotoxin is diminished, but it will give a horrible infection, and killing of the tissue cells can happen.

i did that

This response submitted by jeremy on 03/08/2004 at 18:42. ( ) 68.192.187.157

with a frozen cane break rattler. I just got it in the mail and my room mate wanted to see the fangs, so all liquered up I was prying the frozen mouth open when whack!, the frozen gum let loose and i stabed some of the bottom teeth into my thumb. the mouth was filled with a yellowish venom slushy and it did start hurting after 15min or so. started at my wrist, then my elbo, and went to my shoulder. only lasted a few hours, after that I switched to shots and left the frozen snakes alone. goes to show you most snake bites are alcohol related. I would sell it to you but I have not gotten around to molding it yet.

A rattlenakes' hematoxin probably breaks down

This response submitted by PA on 03/08/2004 at 19:23. ( ) 24.3.205.80

faster than the neurotoxin that members of the Elapidae have, such as coral snakes and cobras. Either way, it is best to be cautious when skinning any posenous snake.

Texasrattlers.com

This response submitted by J. Randall on 03/09/2004 at 09:09. ( ) 67.140.206.28

I have bought from them and they have excellent quality snakes frozen whole with no damage. I have skinned and mounted quite a few rattle snakes and they are not going to bite you after they have expired but use caution as the venom (even in snakes frozen for years) is still very toxic and you dont want to prick your finger on a fang.wear rubber gloves during skinning and remove the fangs prior to working on the head. Again use caution they have more than one set of fangs to remove as they have replacements in the roof of their mouth, the last rattler I skinned out had 8.
Hope this helps you out
Best to you and yours

PA you are correct

This response submitted by wetnwild on 03/09/2004 at 15:39. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Thanks for the correction on the type of venom they produce. I always get confused between the two! Thanks for the correction!

It was only an oversight

This response submitted by PA on 03/09/2004 at 18:09. ( ) 24.3.205.80

I knew you knew the difference - sometimes the brain just picks out the wrong word from its' vast knowledge it stores. There is actually a couple rattlesnakes out west that has both neurotoxin and weak hematoxin. Tha Mojave green rattlesnake, Crotalus scutulatus, and the Tiger rattlesnake, Crotalus tigris, both have some elapid like neurotoxins. Every other rattlesnake in the US has the typical hematoxin, of various levels of toxicity.

bite they do!

This response submitted by Larry Collins on 03/24/2004 at 15:08. ( persimmoncreek@starband.net ) 148.78.243.24

I agree with the other people but I also will say that If you are taking care of the snakes yourself and be-heading them, they will strike back after 2 hours or so. Of course this is a involintary muscle stimulation, but the bites are still the same. Had one close call just this week at the Rattle snake round up in Sweetwater, TX.
Hope this helps out. LOL

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu