bought rattleskin with folds, remove folds and mount

Submitted by Ray on 03/07/2004 at 00:10. ( ) 207.94.115.32

bought rattleskin @ yard sale. dont know nothing about preserving skin. looks and feels like skin has been treated. would like to make sure. how can i tell? skins feels like paper, scales are still attached and not flaking off. skin is folded and in good contition.
would like to remove folds and mount on a board for display.
how can i remove the folds without braking the skin? how do i mount it on a display board without breaking the skin. the skin is dry and it looks like it has been stored folded. i figure the skin was removed earlier this year, because it is in very good condition, except for the fold lines. thank you for any info.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

glycerin

This response submitted by wetnwild on 03/07/2004 at 05:13. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Get some glycerin at the pharmacy, and pin the snake skin down flat. Brush some glycerin on the fleah side and leave on for a day or twoo till absorbed. This will rep[lenish the oils to the skin and make it more pliable and les fragile. then tack it or however you want to attach it to the board. However if you use this method, you will not be able to glue it directly to the board as the glue will not stick to the oiled surface. maybe you should consider sewing it to a felt or cloth backing , then gluin to the board to get best adhesion

deceased pet snake

This response submitted by Hal Wigoda on 04/08/2004 at 14:59. ( hwigoda@mindspring.com ) 209.86.107.194

my pet snake of 14 years just passed away.
what do i need to do to
save the skin and head and skelketon?

is taidermy an option and
is there an appropriate expert in or near chicago?

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu