A step-by-step snake skin preservation technique

Submitted by Oznog on 03/11/2004 at 16:39. ( ) 24.116.65.223

So much hostility on this subject that I hesitated to post! Oh well, at the risk of being torn a new one...Anyway, hopefully all the information seekers will find this thread and leave you guys alone...

I have used the following variation of the 50/50 (alcohol/glycerin) method with great success when wanting to preserve (not tan) multiple skins over an extended period of time. Besides being able to do several skins at one time, this method allows you to add new skins to the process as you need, it does not require stretching or tacking up the skin, and it does not require daily application of solution. The end result is a pliable skin that can be handled by many (e.g. great for school presentations, etc.) I am unsure what step 5 does, other than a form of freeze drying that removes any remaining H2O, but the method works. The times for each step could very likely be shortened, but I have not experimented. Good luck.

1. Skin and deflesh the snake as much as possible.
2. Place the skin in a jar of 50/50 denatured alcohol (methanol) and glycerin. Soak the skin for 10- 14 days. I keep my jar in the fridge (perhaps not necessary?) and write the date that each skin must come out on a label on the jar.
3. Remove the skin, strip off the excess fluid (back into the jar), and place in a second jar of 100% glycerin for 1 week. Again, I keep this jar in the fridge (again, perhaps not necessary?).
4. Remove the skin, strip off excess glycerin and pat the skin dry with paper towels.
5. Roll the skin onto a tubular container (e.g. a toilet paper roll covered in cellophane or tin foil would work, but the plastic containers from Dairy Queen's push-up work great), and place in the freezer for 2 weeks.
6. Remove from freezer and enjoy. Keep the skins on the rollers for compact storage and transportation to presentations.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Step 3?

This response submitted by wetnwild on 03/11/2004 at 17:33. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Not gonna trip ya at all. The method for the reason you use it is a good one, no problem. You can however discard step #3. After te initial methanol glycerin soak, the skin is suoper saturated with glycerin because of the methanol opening up the pores and displacing the water. being such, step three does not allow the glycerin to penetrate the skin as it is already at full saturation, and no kore will absorb, other tah that, sounds good! Also the freezer step has and serves no purpose. After step#4, the skin will be no different wether you freeze. it or not

Thanks

This response submitted by Oznog on 03/11/2004 at 20:16. ( ) 24.116.65.223

Thanks. Next time, I will try it minus those extra steps and see how they turn out. I am sure you are right.

Looking for importers of the Animals

This response submitted by Gerald Ugho on 03/23/2004 at 07:20. ( dodomapetscentre@yahoo.com ) 196.41.42.69

wholesale birds
... I am looking for importers of birds, Reptiles and insects through out the world,whom i can supply him ... only.any interested buyers from European union,Japan,china,usa,canada ...
Please for more information do not hesitate to contact me through my e mail.
Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for importers of the Animals

This response submitted by Gerald Ugho on 03/23/2004 at 07:25. ( dodomapetscentre@yahoo.com ) 196.41.42.69

wholesale birds
... I am looking for importers of birds, Reptiles and insects through out the world,whom i can supply him ... only.any interested buyers from European union,Japan,china,usa,canada ...
Please for more information do not hesitate to contact me through my e mail.
Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

inquiry...

This response submitted by ben on 04/09/2004 at 12:29. ( rubenlachica@yahoo.com ) 210.86.144.232

Thank you for the article...skinning. This has given me ideas on how to skin. Actually ive already skinned a python and is left under sunlight for 2 days now. Charcoal and formaline are the only applications on the skin ive so far did. I am planning to staff cotton in it for school labarotory display. Please e-mail me for i need assistance regarding this matter.

... Thanks

preservation technique

This response submitted by ches on 06/03/2004 at 00:46. ( ) 65.4.31.88

yes i have a 2 ft copperhead skin that i killed last week and i want to make it more plyable to the touch. i can get the glycerin from the drug store but can some one tell me where to get the methonol to make the 50/50 mix....my email is jbrvo1@bellsouth.net if anyone can help.....thx

You're all pretty sick, huh?

This response submitted by Alexander on 8/20/04 at 12:25 PM. ( havunysj@hotmail.com ) 64.71.74.18

Wow. Humans are pretty stupid. When will philosophy catch up with us? We don't need to kill snakes for skin. What purpose does this serve? Sorry, not trying to be a prick... just making serious debte. I don't understand this (or I do and nobody else seems to understand this)

Snake skin preservation

This response submitted by MD on 9/1/04 at 6:55 PM. ( dit1ge@aol.com ) 205.173.93.40

My 6FT king snake is alive. He just shed and I want to preserve the skin so I can take it to my niece's school, with the snake for show and tell.I don't want it to tear.Any Idea's ?

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu