gycerin/alcohol solution hardened during application

Submitted by mthanson on 03/31/2004 at 23:36. ( mthanson@starband.net ) 148.63.140.14

I just stirred together a 50-50 solution of glycerin and 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol and applied it to a cleaned snakeskin pinned out on cardboard.

The solution cooled and hardened before I was finished...although I think I did get liquid solution applied to the whole skin before the hardening took place.

Should I gently remove the hardened glycerin after it dries out and then reapply? How long should I let the drying take place?

Comments and further suggestions welcome!

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

what?

This response submitted by wetnwild on 04/01/2004 at 05:30. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Why did you use rubbing alcohol? You need methanol or denatured alocohol. Also, what did you mean by cooled, you should mix it un heated if i get your message straight. The glycerin, should not be absorbed for hours at best. Are you sure you used glycerin? Sounds like you got your chemicals mixed up!

glycerin/alcohol mixture - did I need need glycerol?

This response submitted by mthanson on 04/01/2004 at 12:35. ( ) 148.63.140.14

mmmm...missed the denatured vs. rubbing alcohol - the mix I made was with glycerin and isopropyl alcohol but I had to melt down the glycerin first before stirring in the alcohol.
I'm not sure I had a solution but rather a simple mixture as a result.

So what I really need is glycerol which comes in a liquid form?

I am confused generally, but hopefully learning for next time around at least. The skin I am "treating" is from a 3-foot rattler. I would like to use it for a hatband or craft project. On top of getting the glycerin/alcohol solution wrong, I am uncertain as to what agents should be applied for tanning (besides all the plugs for professional products, I would like to use commonly available items for a home tanning remedy if that's possible...)

Snake tan

This response submitted by wetnwild on 04/01/2004 at 15:53. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Glycerin is a liquid in a brown bottle with the consistency of vegetable oil, and is found in the hand cream isle of most pharnacies. It does not have to be melted. As for home tanning, i would not mess around with voodoo remedies and such and just spend the small amount of money and buy Bruce Rittels snake tan kit.

glycerin/alcohol mixture - this isn't tanning?

This response submitted by mthanson on 04/01/2004 at 17:03. ( ) 148.63.140.14

Ok, the glycerin I used was in clear solid form (pure vegetable glycerin soap) which is why I melted it down. This was a silly goof, but I was unaware of the liquid glycerin form. Now I am trying to melt it off the skin and flake off the hardened glycerin so I can apply the 50/50 liquid glycerin & denatured alcohol formula.
Hmmmm...should I rehydrate the skin by soaking it in water again?

Voodoo? I'm hoping to acquire a recipe for homemade alchemy rather then purchase a vial of same.

I'm also wanting to learn how the glycerin treatment is different than tanning. I'm reading a lot of different posts on this site in which people suggest "that's not tanning!" but there is no accompanying explanation as to what tanning is or how the tanning process differs from preserving the skin which is what I presume I'm doing with the glycerin treatment...

snake skins

This response submitted by wetnwild on 04/02/2004 at 05:42. ( ) 24.128.109.191

The difference is tanning turns the skin into viable leather, while preserving the skin protects it from rotting

glycerin/alcohol mixture

This response submitted by mthanson on 04/02/2004 at 12:46. ( ) 148.63.140.14

Thanks for your replies.

Lesson learned here that the liquid glycerin and denatured alcohol (or methanol) are suitable for preserving the skin, but not tanning.

Can the skin be tanned at a later time assuming it is preserved and not rotting away? Or once you go down the route of preserving has the use of the skin become more limited?

It would be nice if I can experiment with tanning after preserving properly - are the substances used oil-based?

This is the method we used for the 2 chemicals

This response submitted by Blake Holland on 9/19/04 at 7:53 PM. ( Mooseknuckle188 ) 205.188.116.73

Well we cleaned the skin very well and then rolled it up and put it in pure glycerin oil for about 2 weeks then we took it out pinned it on a board and let it dry. Then, we put it in a solution of 60% glycerin oil and 40% denatured alchohol for another week or two then we took it out and pinned it on the board for its final drying out. And they turned out wonderfully. The Glycerin Oil and Denatured Alchohol can be purchased at any Wal-Mart.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu