cue wrap.............

Submitted by panther on 04/03/2004 at 18:38. ( panther_13half@yahoo.com ) 208.60.248.90

ok im new to this tanning thing........my question is....i have 2 small skins, both black rat snakes, with awesome color, i have them soaking in borax til tonite.....any suggestions on my next step?

now here is the twist.......im using it on a custom made cue stick!
the borax, then alcohol/glycerine sounded good until i found out glycerine is a oil......the skins i have will be totally clearcoated over and i dont think an oil would be good under, may blister the clearcoat......any suggestions on how to cure it for this purpose?

should i jus dry it after the borax and use it then seein the clearcoat will preserve?

any and all suggestions will be helpful

thanks

keith

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

tan it

This response submitted by wetnwild on 04/03/2004 at 22:30. ( ) 24.128.109.191

BVuy some of Bruce Rittels snake tan . One kit will do the two snakes. You will have to rinse off the borax, as thia was a bad idea, and you have to toally get it ALL off or the white borax crystals will permeate the surface of the skin and leave a white residue. Salt the skins down and let dry till you recieve ythe kits. It will leave a nice leather wrap and not distotr the color. then you can proced as you desire!

ok thanks

This response submitted by panther on 04/04/2004 at 12:51. ( ) 209.214.17.74

thanks....couple other questions....1. will tanning discolor the snow white sides of the skin?, 2. after tanning i will be able to permanantly seal the skin with no problems? 3. should i refrigerate the salted skins?

thanks for the advise

keith

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu