how do I make rattlesnake hat bands

Submitted by TLR on 04/11/2004 at 21:15. ( viperfang08@yahoo.com ) 67.130.184.109

wanted to make a rattlesnake hatband and I'm not sure what to do.I've been searching for a while for information about it but didn't find what I'm looking for. If you can please send me step by step instructions of how to skin the snake,make a hatband, and preservbe the skull and maybe the skeletonof the rattlem snake. Please include detailed instructions about any other information avalable.Thank you.
TLR

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Welcome...

This response submitted by Griz on 04/11/2004 at 22:12. ( ) 69.66.86.174

Welcome to the forums. If you need to know anything there is a handy dandy, orange button, cleverly titled "search". You will find it very useful. Everything you want to know is in there ...GUARANTEED. There is more infrmation in there than you can imagine. I am sure you will be amazed.
To get you started go to

http://www.hidetanning.net/SnakeSkinningIllustrated.html

It is very informative, thanks to glen conley and superpig

STILL NEED HELP

This response submitted by TLR on 04/12/2004 at 22:33. ( viperfang08@yahoo.com ) 67.130.184.163

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP IVE LOOKED OVER THE SUGESTED PAGES AND NOW KNOW HOW TO SKIN THE SNAKE BUT HOW DO I MAKES A HAT BAND THAT WILL NOT DECOMPOSE? AND WILL BE JUST RIGHT. PLEASE WRITE BACK AGAIN.
TLR

Peserving Snake Skin so it is Soft and Plyable

This response submitted by Zabba on 05/12/2004 at 16:02. ( ) 66.53.10.96

Preserving a snake skin, keeping it soft not stiff, makes it possible to work it into any shape you need.
This is different than a taxidermist , who will dry it out and are not concerned with plyability.
The trick is to use Glycerine to preserve the skin.
Instructions below

The snake skin is removed by making a longtitudinal cut along the underside of the snakw using scissors,. The cut is straight down the midline, from the anal opening ending at the head.

Peel the skin off off the snake starting just behind the head. Then cut the body away from the head , but leaving the skin attached to the head. The skin and head can then be carefully pulled off the body. The anal -cloacal opening will need to be cut free of the body .

Soak the skin and head in glycerine . Glycerine is available in most drug stores. it is a a clear inexpensive liquid, that has an oily thick texture. . Soak the skin for a week , 2-3 weeks if also using the head.
Removing it every day to rub the glycerine into the skin. It is rubbed in lightly for a few minutes into the inside layer of the skin . DO NOT rub it into the scales it does no good.

The glycerine removes any fat that is present , and you may wish to lightly scrape away any musclw tissue that is is presesnt. Be carefull to scrape very little or you will tear the skin , ruining it.
At the end of the week spread the skin out on a piece of cardboard, pinning it with the scale side down, and very lightly stretching it, wipe off the excess glycerine with a piece of cloth,
Let it sit a day.
Then examine it , it should be soft , and plyable. If it is stiff and hard soak it again in glycerine for another week.
Once it dries for a day and still remains soft and plyable, then it can be sown or glued to a piece of fabric, to add support.
Finally cut and shape and sow the fabric-skin into the shape and size you desire , attaching it to a hat or whatever.
The skin will remain plyable for many years. It will harden eventually, and if that is a problem then soaking in glycerine will return it to a soft texture again

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu