snake skeleton project ideas?

Submitted by Lindsay on 04/12/2004 at 20:01. ( ) 64.12.116.201

Hi - I'm a second-year science teacher working with youth in a special education high school facility in Virginia. I have a 9th grade biology student who is highly intelligent and loves snakes, and to complete his course he needs to do a science project. He wants to do one on snake skeletons and/or scales. Problem is, I don't know much about snakes, I don't have a biology background, and I don't know WHAT he can do on this topic. Does anyone have any ideas? Or, does anyone know where I can get my hands on a free snake skeleton? (our school has no extra money for single-student projects.) I want to foster my student's passion for snakes, and I need help!

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Snake Skin

This response submitted by ssfs on 04/12/2004 at 20:47. ( ) 66.227.240.47

Maybe you could ask a local zoo or pet store if they had any shed snake skin he could have. Maybe he could study how and why a snake sheds its skin.

maybe

This response submitted by wetnwild on 04/13/2004 at 06:19. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Drawing out the head patterns of different snakes would be a great project. The scale pattern on the heads of snakes is the best way to identify different species which are similiar in all other ways.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu