Tanning a Gator skin

Submitted by Frank V. Rago on 04/12/2004 at 21:57. ( ikon@mindspring.com ) 207.69.76.160

I have a 7'fleshed and salted gator skin in the freezer. Want to tan it so I can make a few backquivers out of it. I wan it to be stiff like rawhide when done. In the past I have tanned deer, otter, hog, and elk hides with alum with very good success. They turn out stiff but not too stiff. Well, except for the hog, I could drive a truck over the quiver and it would never damage my arrows.

Wondering what chemicals can I use, I want to keep the skin the natural color so I'm thinking against pickling. Any help would be greately appreciated. The sooner it's out of the freezer, the sooner my wife will be happy.

Thanks,

Frank V. Rago

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

pickle

This response submitted by wetnwild on 04/13/2004 at 06:16. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Ritels safety acid for pickle will NOT discolor tyhe skin at all. I do it prior to all full body mounts and all color is retained. As far as keeping it stiff, just make sure after you flesh it, you do not shave it. Use the easy-100 from Rittels to tan it, and then shape it in the way you need and let it dry. Do not break the hide, and it should get fairly stiff for you. The further to the back you get, the stiffer it will be. I would use the back skin with the scutes for the backi of the quiver with the edging to the belly skin as your sew point which will be closest to your body. This should protect the arrows just fine

Thank You

This response submitted by Frank V. Rago on 04/13/2004 at 20:03. ( ) 209.86.137.38

Pickle,

Thanks a bunch. Ya not only helped me out with the gator, but now I have a new source for alum.

Looks like I'm going to be busy.

Thanks again,

Frank

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu