Sea Turtles

Submitted by wondering on 04/15/2004 at 10:42. ( ) 66.227.240.47

I know that it is illegal to kill, harm, possess, etc any part of a sea turtle because of the endangered species act in 1973. But what about sea turtle shells, bones, ect that were aquired before this law, like in the 1950's. Is it illegal to have these items? I know you can have the shells if they are like 100 years old, but what about like 50 years old? Also if you do find one of these items that you think is illegal to have, is there anywhere that you could take the item, like give it to the DNR or museum or something?

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

no=no

This response submitted by wetnwild on 04/16/2004 at 10:00. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Unless you have documented proof that they were legally obtained prior to the ban, dont even think about it.If you find them and pick them up you are breaking the law also

Sort of right wetnwild

This response submitted by Liz on 04/16/2004 at 10:40. ( ) 64.12.116.77

The endangered species act applies to the species (in this case the seaturtle) as well as all parts and any products made from them. If they were legally possessed prior to the act applying to them, you can still possess them. You can donate them or give them away as well, however, if you say give it to a museum or educational institute, then you probably need some documentation or an affidavit as to it's origins. (i.e. I inherited this from my grandfather, and oh look, here's a picture of him from 1928 with it on the mantle).

You can NOT sell them across state lines, and selling WITHIN the state depends on STATE law.

For further information contact your local DNR and US Fish and Wildlife offices.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu