rattlesnake rattle, how to remove from DEAD snake ?

Submitted by Besty Jane on 04/23/2004 at 18:22. ( bj551@hotmail.com ) 67.119.236.178

while on a walk today , April 23, I found a rattlesnake that someone
had cut in half. I would like to save the rattle. HOW do I do that ?

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Take it!

This response submitted by larry collins on 04/23/2004 at 22:25. ( persimmoncreek@starband.net ) 148.78.243.26

The first thing is to cut the skin down to the bottom of the rattle. I would recomend using scissors. Once you have gotten down to this point, use a sharp knife and start cutting the tissue out of the blood rattle. Once you have some of the meat outside, you can usually pull on it to remove all of the meat. This will leave the rattle hollow on the bottom two rattles. I suggest using two part apoxie and fill the bottom to allow it to be more stable. I hope this helps. I am sure T.Voyer will also answer, and he willnot lead you wrong. Good luck

Larry

Another way

This response submitted by Bob Mead on 04/25/2004 at 20:29. ( meadtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 216.31.72.89

Whenever I find a ruined specimen on the road that has a rattle, I just grasp the meaty part of the tail with my left hand and twist the rattle off with my right. Works like a charm. When you get it home you can use your scissors and clean the meat out of the blood rattle as suggested above.

Bob Mead

meat from a snake

This response submitted by susan oliver on 07/29/2004 at 12:55. ( susanoliver34@hotmail.com ) 64.68.82.25

i am searching for answers on how to turn the dead snake meat to what looks like bones for a necklace,reason for this a necklace was given to my mom as a young child,rattlesnake was made into a necklace she was told.my mother born in chelesa okla,in her grandmother teepee in 1933,,,,

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu