mounting a snake

Submitted by will on 04/23/2004 at 22:28. ( will_weise@hotmail.com ) 24.1.42.236

Hey guys, i have 2 snake skins in a 50/50 solution of glycerin and methonal. When i take these out what should i do with them? Do they need to try, or can they just be put straight onto something? Also, what do i mount it on? i've seen pics of snakes that have like a 2 tone felt behind them, but i cant really find felt that is long enough for a 5''4' rat snake. Do i need some special felt, or can i just get it at a local michaels? Thanks for any help.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

my bad

This response submitted by will on 04/23/2004 at 22:29. ( ) 24.1.42.236

i accidently put try, instead of dry. Sry.

Will, sorry to tell you this, but..

This response submitted by George on 04/23/2004 at 23:00. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.100

If you check the archives, you'll see that you don't have anything. You just have a greasy snake skin that will ooze glycerine until it all oozes out. Then it'll crack and be ruined. You should have checked the archives first and learned that snake skins really do need to be pickled and tanned.

can i save it

This response submitted by will on 04/24/2004 at 17:05. ( ) 24.1.42.236

can i save the snake skin after it has been in the glycerin/methonal solution for a couple of days by taking it out, putting it in a pickling solution (1 part water, 1 part white vinegar) for a day, and then tacking it to a board, or will i have to still tan it after that?

cant pickle

This response submitted by wetnwild on 04/25/2004 at 06:13. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Because you have saturated with glycerin, it will not absorb the pickle. If you use the glycerin method, you should take the skin and tack it down. Then brush the mixture on the meat side for two days, and then let dry. where did you come up with the soak mehtod? You can try taking it out, and blotting off the excess and let it dry. At this point, sew it onto your felt backing. Most cloth shops sell felt in the standard 6 foot wide lenghts, but you can have thm cut you a minimum yard of it, or ask if they have scrap trimmings. You will have to sew it, as glue will also not stick to the greeasy skin as George stated

another option.

This response submitted by larry collins on 04/25/2004 at 11:33. ( persimmoncreek@starband.net ) 148.78.243.24

Try using 9/16 brad nails and line the felt up behind the snake on the barn board and then use the nails to adhere the snake and felt to the board. This will help, but the solution that u started with will start to stain the felt in time. Especially on the lower half once it is hung up to dry. Next time try Riddles, t.voyer put me on to it and it works wonders. Sorry, maybe this will help.

Later Larry

ok, this is what i am going to do

This response submitted by will on 04/25/2004 at 13:10. ( ) 24.1.42.236

ok, screwed up. im gonna take it out of the solution, wash it off real good, and then tack it to a board. Put salt on it, let it dry out, and hope for the best. Next time ill use rittles.

Why salt

This response submitted by wetnwild on 04/25/2004 at 16:56. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Salt will only melt and crystalize in the glycerin and leave you with white stain blotches. Do reserch and listen to the prior posts. Where are you comig up with thes eideas. Not rtying to sound mean or anything, but every next step you propose is worse than the first, and not thought out. Just let it dry narurally and do as Larry suggests, and learn from youyr mistake on the next one

ok...

This response submitted by will on 04/25/2004 at 18:58. ( ) 24.1.42.236

well, im going to wash the glycerin off. Thats the whole point. whatever, i wont use salt.

rattle snake

This response submitted by Brett H. on 05/24/2004 at 00:03. ( bretthindman@yahoo.com ) 205.162.234.82

I cought a rattle snake. I cut his head off. Can it still be mounted?

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu