mistake with antifreeze

Submitted by mike rains on 04/27/2004 at 08:34. ( teresa@kenmhealy.com ) 68.203.210.252

i recently skinned a 74'' texas diamondback and was told to soak in antifreeze for 3-4 days and then to cover in borax for a day or so. after finding your website i realize i probably made a mistake since i've already done this.i realize this is a part of the preservation process and has nothing to do with tanning. my question is what should i do now that i've done this, the skin is still stretched out on a board with the borax still covering it. is it too late to correct my mistake. this is my first attempt at preservation/tanning and took the advice of the first person i asked so this is why im in the position im in. would greatly appreciate any help in this situation

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

glycerin

This response submitted by Dean on 04/27/2004 at 09:27. ( ) 67.4.163.52

A tannery told me that reptiles can be tanned in antifreeze because of the glycerin in it. Glycerin is what reptile tan is mainly made with. You should be fine. The glycerin in it will make it soft and flexable.

Dean, that's MIS information

This response submitted by George on 04/27/2004 at 10:18. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.103

Maybe you should visit the archives and see just what bullsh1t that is. Glycerin in NOT A TAN in any form. It is fat extract used in everything from soap to dynamite. It simply softens a hide because it's oily. Ethylene glycol is antifreeze and the alcohol portion MAY do some preservation work, but it's hardly a "tan" and the "glycol" portion is your glycerine at work again as a lubricant.

I find it hard to believe any reputable tannery would tell anyone such crap. There IS a snake tan out there on the market and if you look at the ingredients involved, you WON'T find antifreeze or glycerine involved in the process.

YUP

This response submitted by wetnwild on 04/27/2004 at 14:17. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Like George so clearly put it, all you did was state misinformnation. Anti-freeze used to have more alcohol in it than it does now, so it fixed the skin years ago. Glycerin is a greasy emolient moisturizer women use on their hands. Unless you TAN IT, you are just getting a temporary stay from the skin rotting and desintigrating. Use Rittels snake tan next time. As for your current predictament. I wouldwash off all borax, and rinse out all the antifreeze. TRhen salt the skin and let it dry while you order some of Rittels snake tan. Follow the instructions, and you may be able to salvage the skin

I stand corrected

This response submitted by Dean on 04/27/2004 at 18:25. ( ) 67.4.181.75

I quess you know more than the tannery. But I was told the same thing from more than one souce. One of them was at a seminar at IGT or Nationals a few years back.

I guess we do

This response submitted by wetnwild on 04/27/2004 at 20:26. ( ) 24.128.109.191

The tanning info is incorrect and our solution came from the best tannersy guy in the business Bruce Rittel. As for the info at the seminar, i think it was probably taken out of context or misunderstod. Would like to know the name of the teacher at the seminar who said such crap!

My mistake ?

This response submitted by Dean on 04/27/2004 at 21:51. ( ) 67.4.180.110

I was told it can also be used on beaver tails. They are hard to tan and soften.Soaking them in antifreeze after the pickle will help soften them up and make them pliable. More so than tanning oil. I'm just repeating what I was told. If I'm wrong I stand corrected. There must be something to it if this other guy knew of the antifreeze thing also. I'll check into it again, now I'm curious to find out more about this.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu