How long

Submitted by Paul R. Hix on 05/05/2004 at 20:52. ( rafterhtaxidermy@sw.rr.com ) 24.160.15.5

I know this sounds very sophomoric..but here goes. I have been getting my snakes dead and have been having a good amount of luck for a rookie to snake taxidermy. This week I have been given several Western Diamondbacks that were very much alive and very angry. I have put them in the deep freeze. I was wondering how long a rattlesnake can live in this kind of environment. My freezer is about 15 degrees f.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

24-48 Hours

This response submitted by Larry Collins on 05/05/2004 at 20:59. ( persimmoncreek@starband.net ) 148.78.243.26

I try to tell every one to let them stay for 48 hours and then check. However I also caution that if you put a large supply in to the freezer, to use a stick to move the frozen bodies out of the way on the second day, as some of mine have been known to get under the others and stay alive a little longer. Anyway I too am a beginner, but ihave goten most of my snakes alive and have dealt with this for more than two years. I hope that this helps.

Later larry

Use small buckets and freeze each one seperatly.

This response submitted by John C on 05/06/2004 at 00:04. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Ben Haden told a story about someone freezing a five gallon bucket of rattler, well as they thawe the ones in the center had been hibernating and the fellow was bitten as he reached over the pile.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu