How to Catch a large Burmese Python?

Submitted by Tony on 05/13/2004 at 18:00. ( ) 57.68.22.34

I recently discovered a 8ft - 10ft Burmese Python in my back yard (in FL). It promptly dissapearred into a hole in the river bank when it noticed me. I guess it lives there. There does not seem to be any traps big enough for this size snake on the internet, any suggestions on how to catch it/kill it?

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Leave it alone

This response submitted by wetnwild on 05/13/2004 at 19:10. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Why not just leave it alone! Unless you have small dogs, cats or infants running unattebded in the back yard, why not just let it be! it must have just recently been released as it never would have survived the winter months. If you really want to get rid of it, pour some gasoline down the hole, and wait for him to come out. Pin his head down and grab him behind the neck. Put him in a pillow case or burlap potato bag and tie a knot in it and donate it to your .ocal pet store. It will die in the fall and winter months of pneumonia due to the cold!1

Leave it, State DNR or Humane Society

This response submitted by Raven on 05/13/2004 at 19:27. ( ) 24.150.166.254

In Florida it may be able to survive easily. Should the temperatures drop somewhat - it will fall into brumation (a prolonged state of hibernation experienced by herptiles). Dumping gasoline down it's hole - especially on a water bank is incredibly ecologically irresponsible and should be avoided at all costs. It may very well also be illegal by several state and US federal laws established to protect the environment.. essentiually you would be dumping toxic contaminants into the local watershed.. something that is highly frowned upon. The absolute BEST thing to do is as Tom suggested, leave it alone if at all possible. If it does have to be removed for whatever reason - a call to your local humane society or state Department of Natural Resources will solve the problem quickly, legally and ethically.

Not Eco friendly

This response submitted by Larry on 05/13/2004 at 19:30. ( persimmoncreek@starband.net ) 148.78.243.25

I would not suggest using the gasoline that was mentioned by tom (sorry to disagree TOM) as it is toxic to the water supply in the area. As the snake has to eat I suggest using live bait (cat, small dog) from the local animal control agency. Please use only animals that are going to be terminated. Tie the animal up about twenty feet from the hole. As for the grabbing the snake, make sure you have some help. As most bigger snakes are extremely strong for thier size. I would have at least one more person to help. I say this only to help avoid any problems of having a large snake that is not happy wioth you. I myself had a large (6'2") western diamondback that I encountered that once I had my hands on him, he was more than I could handle, (I am 6' and weigh 350, bench 450lbs.) luckily one of the bystanders stepped in before the snake could pry his head back thru my hands. Anyway I hope that this will help. As for the pet store, I would check this out first as in some states it is illegal even to donate a snake to a place of business. If I was you I would contact the local game biologist and local game warden to catch the rogue snake and let them take care of it. Any way I hope that this helps.

Larry

big worm

This response submitted by mr.t on 05/13/2004 at 23:17. ( ) 64.31.6.187

I saw on the discovery channel how people in India would catch 20-25 footers by sending a small boy into the hole with a torch and a rope. Loop around the head, bring the rope out, and the men would drag it out. The best way is to use the cat from next door with a treble hook and 80 lb. test mono on a muskie pole. Make sure you use a good Penn real with a good drag with a 4:1 gear ratio. When you set the hook, dont hourse him, fight him til he's tired. When you take the picture you want him very tired, and dont hang it around your neck for the picture. Good luck. :-)

big worm

This response submitted by mr.t on 05/13/2004 at 23:17. ( ) 64.31.6.187

I saw on the discovery channel how people in India would catch 20-25 footers by sending a small boy into the hole with a torch and a rope. Loop around the head, bring the rope out, and the men would drag it out. The best way is to use the cat from next door with a treble hook and 80 lb. test mono on a muskie pole. Make sure you use a good Penn real with a good drag with a 4:1 gear ratio. When you set the hook, dont hourse him, fight him til he's tired. When you take the picture you want him very tired, and dont hang it around your neck for the picture. Good luck. :-)

OOOOps

This response submitted by wetnwild on 05/14/2004 at 06:57. ( ) 24.128.109.191

You guys are right! I forgot the fact it was next to a river! I do not know what i was thinking! As far as surviving in Forida raven, if the wether even gets into the 50's it will develope pneumonia and die of respiration problems. I have had many as pets, and they will not hibernate like common ratlers or collubrids which are native to the area. they are afrom the topics, and that is why their tanks have to be kept in the 80-90 degres 24 hours a day. They cannot be hibernated like indigenous snakes. Snakes can only be hibernated if the temps are similiar to native weather conditions!

Thanks a lot!

This response submitted by Tony on 05/14/2004 at 14:46. ( ) 57.68.22.34

Thanks for the useful feedback Gentlemen. Interesting insights, especially that the snake may not survive through the next FL winter. I found a site that makes Snake Traps, they are custom making one for me (22"x22"x36")which I hope will be big enough, what do you think?
- What's the best live bait, rat or some thing else? like the neighbours cat!)
- Will the snake prefer to climb completely inside the trap before consuming his prey?

Sorry Tom But............

This response submitted by Mjvaden on 05/16/2004 at 09:10. ( Mjvaden@aol.com ) 68.170.181.88

These snakes have no trouble surviving the Florida winter. I grew up in south Florida and raised quite a few snakes as a kid. I actually lost a Burmese python down there and caught him 3 years later and two feet longer. There is no doubt it was the same snake because the tip of his tail was kinked and his tung was actually half white.

I also volunteered at the science museum from the time I was about six. We would get called out to catch giant snakes 5 or 6 times a year. In my time down there we had caught 25 to 30 pythons and boas. The funniest time we caught a 14 footer living under a house and like the story above I was the littlest one so I got stuck under the crawl space with snatch pole and the curator holding on to my ankles. Need less to say I came face to face with over 100 pounds of coiled python. That will get your blood pump'n!
At the museum We also got most of the smuggled snakes that Fish and Wildlife confiscated.

If you really need to catch him there is a guy name Todd (can't remember his last name) he is a nuisance trapper that owns a company called "pesky critters" The Fish and Game commission down there knows him well and uses him a lot. He would be your best bet.

Good luck and Tom sorry to burst your bubble "Kn'q'sel"

HELP....

This response submitted by Cliff on 07/13/2004 at 14:09. ( cflorence2002@yahoo.com ) 216.77.68.47

well we have a 13ft burmese python living somewhere in my neighborhood where there are two ponds, a lake and plenty of wooded area for him to survive. he/she got loose july 1 from the apartments across the lake and there is no one even looking for him/her. so if u have any info on who to contact or how to find the snake, please let me know. Cause the only way i know how to catch a snake is with the barrel of a shotgun. THANKS

Leave this job to the experts.

This response submitted by Roger on 7/31/04 at 7:41 PM. ( RSTAKAT@T6WIRELESS.COM ) 208.44.100.76

A couple of quick questions.
Ask yourself why am I trying to catch this snake. I don't reccomend keeping it as a pet, and your local Zoo won't take it.
Shouldn't you be letting the animal control folks catch it. A snake this size could easily kill you. EASILY! The fact that you saw this snake at all is a long shot. You could watch that hole for 24 hours a day for the next seven days and not see it again.
The only predators this snake has to fear our Humans, Aligators and other Pythons. This snake is just as likly to kill all the above. Keep
your local animal control number handy and just keep watching. Good luck and be careful.

Killed....

This response submitted by Cliff on 8/4/04 at 12:10 AM. ( ) 216.77.68.51

Roger thanks for the advice. Someone did happen to see it in their garage and called someone who brought over their shotgun and shot it. so the snake is DEAD. the local zoo wouldnt even come look for it neither would animal control. lot of help they did.
thanks for the response.

Call the experts!

This response submitted by Theresa on 8/20/04 at 7:54 PM. ( ) 209.214.225.146

Todd Hardwick of "Pesky Critters"
1-800-TRAP-14U

A friend of the family used to work with him.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu