How to preserve a rattlesnake rattle

Submitted by Daniel on 05/26/2004 at 09:32. ( ) 24.196.12.73

Yesterday a rattlesnake waltzed up to my back porch; unfortunately for safety reasons I killed it. Just wanted to know if there was anything I needed to do to correctly preserve the rattle. Thanks.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

clean the blood rattle

This response submitted by larry collins on 05/26/2004 at 11:43. ( persimmoncreek@starband.net ) 148.78.243.26

Take the rattle and you will notice that inside the last rattle(one closes to the body, where you cut it lose) that there is meat inside this rattle, You need to remove this meat. If you pull it out right, the whole piece of meat will come out. Once the meat has been removed, you can just put the rattle up or use it any way you want. If it is to be for display purpose, I sometimes use a two part apoxie to put up inside where the blood meat came from. This will stabilize the end and will lessen the ability to break the end. As with all rattles, the dryness of the rattle accounts for most breakages. I also use some type of oil to keep them from cracking. I hope that this helps, e-mail if you have any more questions.

Larry

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu