Cleaning the bones and inside of a turtle shell

Submitted by Leigh on 05/27/2004 at 13:01. ( ) 66.225.68.8

I found a turtle shell with the bones laying in it and I am hoping to clean up the shell and bones. It is still a little "wet" on the inside and it still smells. What can I use to clean it and get rid of the smell? Bleach? Peroxide? And, how long will it take? Thanks, Leigh.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Your On The Right Track

This response submitted by Jeremy on 06/05/2004 at 23:41. ( ) 12.158.109.69

Leigh,
I usually use a mixture of bleach and water, about a 50/50 ratio. You can either put the shell into the mixture and sumerge it, Or your can brush the mixture on with a paint brush.(Depends on if you want to keep the outer shell intact, if you sumerge it the coloring will flake off and leave a white shell) If you brush on the mixture, repeat the process about 5 or 6 times, letting dry each time, then let it sit tin the sun for a while, (Always seems whiter that way.) That should do it.
-Jeremy

Your On The Right Track

This response submitted by Jeremy on 06/05/2004 at 23:42. ( ) 12.158.109.69

Leigh,
I usually use a mixture of bleach and water, about a 50/50 ratio. You can either put the shell into the mixture and sumerge it, Or your can brush the mixture on with a paint brush.(Depends on if you want to keep the outer shell intact, if you sumerge it the coloring will flake off and leave a white shell) If you brush on the mixture, repeat the process about 5 or 6 times, letting dry each time, then let it sit tin the sun for a while, (Always seems whiter that way.) That should do it.
-Jeremy

Cleaning turtle shell

This response submitted by Loren Johnson on 06/26/2004 at 01:16. ( lorenelmer@yahoo.com ) 208.38.100.168

After cutting as much meat as I can from a snapping turtle I have set them on a real active Ant hill they will clean them out over a period of a week or two without all the chemicels and not damageing shell. Good luck LJ

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu