BOA

Submitted by snakesat on 06/20/2004 at 11:49. ( snakesat@hotmail.com ) dialup-4.163.20.129.Dial1.Dallas1.Level3.net

I have a Boa that I got in 1972. It was about 3 feet long when I got her. She is still thriving, but I am thinking about putting her down. Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to do this and also some ideas on what to do with her then. Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

snakesat

This response submitted by Coyote on 06/20/2004 at 12:01. ( coyote@wideopenwest.com ) d47-69-175-233.try.wideopenwest.com

If she's still thriving why kill her? No reason to kill her just to mount her. There's probably enough around that are already dead, if you want to mount one. You can always use her for reference to mount another one. If you don't want her anymore, why not sell her or give her to someone that will take of her.

Coyote

BOA

This response submitted by RON on 06/20/2004 at 15:16. ( ) du117164.wb3.ptd.net

hey being a fan of snakes i dont have a problem with putting it down for a good mount but you might so to speak kill two birds with one stone by trying to trade your live snake with a zoo or animal park for one that they are sure to have taking up room in one of their freezers.

boa

This response submitted by keel on 07/03/2004 at 14:26. ( sypherlious@msn.com ) 4.143.2.186

The best way to kill a large snake is to put it in a burlap potato sack and twist it so the snake has the least amount of leverage as possible, then weight it and quickly dunk it into a tank of water. If the snake knows it's coming it can hold it's breath for hours. I recomend keeping it under water for a few hours anyway, sometimes you think they're dead but they are not, and can be very pissed off with you, trust me. I just recently drowned a 15ft burmese python, and it took 3 hours before she stoped moving, and I let her sit for 2 more. Drowning is the best if you intend on eating the meat or perserving the skin, it leaves no wounds.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu