going to make a repro bullfrog

Submitted by jim on 06/21/2004 at 13:41. ( ) 12.217.110.51

i am going to attempt to make a cast of a bullfrog leaping. one question. after i make the mold of the frog with latex rubber, what material do i cast it with that would be durable and have good detail? thanks for any advice.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Well right off the top...

This response submitted by Raven on 06/21/2004 at 16:12. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Forget the latex. That's fine for making a mold off of your cast, but if you intend to use it to make your original mold you are in for a lot of headaches. Use either alginate or fast set silicone for your original mold. Alginate is cheaper but not at all durable - one or two casts and it's done. Silicone is more expensive - but if you take the time to prep your frog into proper position first and cut it out casrefully - your original mold can also serve as your production mold. If you do find that you need to make a new mold and want to then use latex.. a quality silicone spray mold release followed by a high strength low viscosity urethane like por-a-kast is optimal.

Someone on the board did one already...try to track him down

This response submitted by SteveClark on 06/25/2004 at 21:46. ( TurtsAndTorts@aol.com ) cache-dtc-ab10.proxy.aol.com

I feed my snapper frogs, and someone on the board named Jim bought one from me and made a crazy cool animated mount of it...try to track him down...sorry, but I lost his email!

-Steve

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu