Question for Tom

Submitted by Doug on 07/06/2004 at 21:43. ( lovejoy2000@myway.com ) 4.16.55.33

I have a 6 1/2' eastern that I caught and used the Rittels tan kit on, but the skin turned out pretty bad. I soaked in the pickeling solution for 2 days, rinsed, put the kwik tan in, left for about 14-15 hours, rinsed, de-scaled, oiled, then set out in the sun to dry. Was the sun part the mistake, or is it possible that I put in too much kwik tan? I put the skin back into the tanning solution, figured it wouldn't come out any worse than it already is. Please help any way possible. Thanks

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

what

This response submitted by wetnwild on 07/07/2004 at 06:30. ( voyer1@aol.com ) 24.128.109.191

does the skin look like, and what do you mean by it looks bad, need some insight here. The sun was a bad idea, as the iol needs to slowly penetrate the skin and lubricate it. the sun dried it all out much too quickly.Putting it back in the tanning solution was of no help as the oil it did soak up, will stop the skin from absorbing any further tan.Also, did you oil the mat side or the scaled side. It should have gone on the meat side after you pinned it down flat, and left on for about three days, and then reoiled for another two.

what

This response submitted by wetnwild on 07/07/2004 at 06:35. ( voyer1@aol.com ) 24.128.109.191

does the skin look like, and what do you mean by it looks bad, need some insight here. The sun was a bad idea, as the iol needs to slowly penetrate the skin and lubricate it. the sun dried it all out much too quickly.Putting it back in the tanning solution was of no help as the oil it did soak up, will stop the skin from absorbing any further tan.Also, did you oil the mat side or the scaled side. It should have gone on the meat side after you pinned it down flat, and left on for about three days, and then reoiled for another two.

what

This response submitted by wetnwild on 07/07/2004 at 06:35. ( voyer1@aol.com ) 24.128.109.191

This response submitted by doug on 07/07/2004 at 08:04. ( ) 4.16.55.33

the skin was very dry and brittle. I figured that the sun was what probably did it. Well, I'll take it out of the tanning solution and tack it out and oil it again. We'll see. Thanks

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu