removing dried glue on rattlesnake mount?

Submitted by Lance on 07/09/2004 at 12:42. ( )

I have a rattlesnake that was mounted using WASCO's hide paste. During the mounting, some of the paste got onto the outside and I wiped it off with a damp cloth. Well, evidently a small residue remained and when it dried it has given the snake a "cloudy" appearance in areas. I have used water again to try to remove since this is a water-based adhesive but it has not helped. Is there another solvent that could be used? I was thinking possibly acetone? I know it's very harmful to breath and plan to do it outside with a breeze to take away the vapors before breathing it. Any help would be appreciated! Also, what do you use to "brighten" up the scales once it is cleaned? I heard of WD40 being used. Thanks in advance, Lance

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Wd wont lighten

This response submitted by wetnwild on 07/09/2004 at 12:49. ( )

What ever solvent is suggested for removing the paste is what I would use. try using a little water on a tooth brush and gently scraping it off. As for WD-40, it does not lighten up skin and scales, but rather gives them a slick sheen, almost like a semi-gloss look. they also lubricate the skin to a degre since they contain petroleum, and if anything darken the skin to a degree

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu