veiled chameleon

Submitted by Ward on 07/11/2004 at 22:12. ( ) 68.194.236.20

I have a veiled chameleon that just died. I find them very interesting and whold like to some how preserve the skeleton and then mount it....I have no idea what I'm doing....Any suggestions out there?

thanks

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Hi Ward, three options

This response submitted by John on 07/11/2004 at 23:05. ( ) 66.190.42.31

Find someone that does reptile taxidermy and then find someone that works on skeletons, you may find someone that does both. Second, let it sit in the sun and rot (dry out) which will look better than anything someone with no exp. can turn out. Third, freeze it and order breahthrough manuals, videos, go to school for taxidermy, practice on some geikos and than do it yourself. Or see option one when you relize that's your most cost effective route if you want it to look good. Not trying to be a smart-a$$ but contrary to popular belief it takes time, effort, and experience to make a dead anything look good.

Ward

This response submitted by Superpig on 07/12/2004 at 11:50. ( ) 64.12.116.13

The only way to do both, the skeleton as well as the mount, is to do a reproduction of the chameleon. If you want a skin mount you will need to use the actual skull as well as the toes. You could cast the skull and try to skin out the chameleon's head but you are asking for big trouble here. Reptile heads, with the exception of snakes, are nearly impossible to skin out as the skin really sticks to the skull like glue. I'm afraid you'd be cutting the head all up trying to skin it out. Your best bet at the time may be to do the skeleton if you had experience with skeletons before and do a reproduction on the chameleon. Either way you need to do some serious research first.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu