Frog Trap

Submitted by Tom on 07/20/2004 at 18:26. ( ) 64.105.7.75

How do you make a frog trap or buy one? I need to catch about 100 frogs from around my pond and would like to move them somwher else.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

good luck

This response submitted by newbirdman on 07/20/2004 at 20:36. ( ) 63.183.160.220

Is the reason you want to move them is to get some sleep ? I have about 100 frogs in my backyard ponds and sometine I want to kill them during mating season . The only way I know is to catch them by hand at night with a flashlight . Even if you do catch all of them , they will be back as they travel at night looking for food and will be back . You can always use a BB gun or fishing pole . Rick

supper

This response submitted by Frog on 07/20/2004 at 22:44. ( ) 152.163.252.167

Get a gig,a bright light & if they're bullfrogs you won't have any problems finding somewhere to put them.

The wife

This response submitted by Richard C on 07/23/2004 at 00:30. ( ) 1Cust231.tnt25.bos2.da.uu.net

Caught a very large green bullfrog bass fishing last evening on a green rubber worm , second time this happened. I didn't know they can scream like a pig but this one did. He was pissed. I had to cut the barb off the hook to get it out of his mouth. The first one she caught on a black sluggo. She also caught a large snapping turtle on my new $5.00 rappala that the turtle owns now. The bass fishing hasn't been to good but I have a very good friend and snake taxidermist up in New Hampshire that promised to take us to a private bass pond he fishes. I'll keep you posted but I'm not holding my breath.

POPPING FROGS

This response submitted by Sam on 8/25/04 at 10:41 PM. ( ) 198.215.9.203

When I was a kid we would go "tank-hopping" for bass and frogs. One of the best ways to catch mature large bullfrogs was by casting a topwater popper past them, then working it slowly toward them. They pounce on the lure and literally cram it into their mouth with their little hand-like front feet. They put up a pretty good fight on a rod and reel too!Good luck! Here in Texas, as in most parts of the U.S, amphibians are rapidly declining. I haven't seen a stock-tank loaded with big frogs in over 15 years. I sure miss a mess of deep-fried rolled in corn meal froglegs!

limb-lining frogs

This response submitted by Sam on 8/25/04 at 10:47 PM. ( ) 198.215.9.203

Another practice with which we had limited sucess was by finding the cool, muddy shady haunts of those big frogs and shoving both ends of a supple willow limb in the mud nearby to make an upside down U. Then tie yourself a hook dangling from the middle of the U to about frog-eye level. Thread on a big frisky yellow grasshopper, or better yet a big live crawdad and come back later to check it. If your lucky, a big frog will be kicking on your line! Most times the racoons rob you and break your line! Good luck!

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu