Loosing scales on rattlesnake can I polyurethane it?

Submitted by Kevin on 07/28/2004 at 19:04. ( Slowridepa@aol.com ) cache-mtc-ad07.proxy.aol.com

I just finished tanning my first rattlesnake. I followed all procedures listed in the forums. Fleshed, Borax dried, and pickled it. after that I applied Van Dyke's reptile tan (Sulfonic Acid & Alcohol mixture). It got nice and soft, But somewhere in the procedure I screw up. I'm loosing the scales in some spots. It's glued to a finished board at this time. My question is, can I apply a spray polyurethane to the skin to hold the scales in place? Also, I'd like to know what did I do wrong for this to happen? Yes, I'm an amateur. Constructive criticism welcomed.

Thanks, Kevin

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

If you

This response submitted by wetnwild on 07/29/2004 at 07:38. ( ) h00e018676c26.ne.client2.attbi.com

Tanned it for a wall hanger and followed the directions( I know Rittels instructs to do so) you are supposed to remove the scales prior to attaching to board. So I am asuming you did not, and they are popping off by themelves.

How does one tan a Rattleskake skin?

This response submitted by Dan on 7/31/04 at 12:14 AM. ( CaliforniasWuIph@aol.com )

I'd like to tan a rattlesnake skin. I skinned the snake {my son found it dead in the road only a half an hour prior. It's head had just been run over by a car} and washed the skin really good, and nailed it to a board. What should I do next?

Rittels snake tan

This response submitted by wetnwild on 7/31/04 at 8:26 AM. ( )

Take the snake off the board before it rots and either salt it dry or freeze it. Order Rittels snake tan and follow the instructions

This response submitted by Dan on 7/31/04 at 1:24 PM. ( )

Tom, Thanks for the advice. I just ordered Rittles snake tan and will follow the instructions. Thanks again for the reply and for the quickness of the reply!

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu