I spoke to soon!

Submitted by Asher on 07/27/2004 at 12:20. ( asherdym@charter.net ) ts46-04-qdr143.mdfrd.or.charter.com

Maybe I got too confident in my skining abilities .... I just skinned my second rattler (trying to get the whole snakes out of my wife's freezer before she puts me in with them,LOL!)Anyways this one was a larger snake than the first and by the time I had gotten to the fleshing part the inside of the head had completely dried out and is very brittle. I don't think I did anything differently than the first other than it took me a little longer. Do you just rehydrate the head? It's in the freezer now, but I thought it was strange, any advice?

Thanks
Asher

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Yup

This response submitted by wetnwild on 07/27/2004 at 13:33. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Rehydrating by lightly spraying the head with a mist bottle. If you get it too wet, it may start to slip its outer epidermal layer due wetness. You could pickle it according to Evelyns instructions that way it will rehydrate without the cahnce of slippage

Is it Okay

This response submitted by Asher on 07/27/2004 at 14:16. ( asherdym@charter.net ) ts46-04-qdr143.mdfrd.or.charter.com

to freeze these skins for mounting later? Like I said I'm trying to get the "whole" snakes out of the freezer so I am skinning them and then will mount when I can. The process that I'm using after the skinning is just borax during and after the fleshing process, then I am lightly misting the skins and putting them in a freezer zip lock bag folded and placed back in the freezer. Thanks for the reply Tom.

Thanks
Asher

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu