mounting a snake ?

Submitted by just wondering on 7/31/04 at 4:21 AM. ( ) 216.148.246.70

ive never tryed this but i was told you can mount a snake, by pumping the the skin, with latex caulk? as long as the snake was skinned through the mouth, and ater its fleashed etc, etc. was wondering if any one has tryed this and can it be done? or was the guy blowing smoke. Thank You for youre time Randy

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

I would think

This response submitted by wetnwild on 7/31/04 at 7:52 AM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Anything ois possible, but you have to think of the proces. Once the snake and i assume it was a small one, was pumped full of calking and the head form installed, it would be fairly air tight like latex in the tube and take forever to dry. You would also have to shape and contour the snake as they are sort of keeled at the back bone, and the you would also need small relief holes( pinholes) to release the airbubles causting a terible mess. Probably not th best of methods, but then again never tried it myself

I would say no...

This response submitted by Raven on 7/31/04 at 9:45 AM. ( ) 24.150.166.254

I would say no for the same reasons that WnW gave. Now if you wanted to experiment with things of this nature, you could theoretically get some thixotropic condensation cured silicone, and use a piping bag or some other device to pump it down in there. I know an old timer told me when he was a kid back in the 30's or so, he used to snap em at the neck - peel em back and fill them with sand. I guess the latex / silicone idea is just a modern version of that concept?

Amen

This response submitted by Jim on 7/31/04 at 10:02 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.77

These guys are right.The guy was blowing smoke.All you would get from this is an over-stuffed sausage that would never dry.And then, a month or two later,when you decide it's not going to work the outer layer of caulk is dried and fused to the skin-then what do you do ?

Tried it

This response submitted by PJ on 7/31/04 at 11:54 AM. ( plubner@juno.com ) 209.165.50.111

and it was no good. Like stated, the caulking doesn't want to dry, any small openings you might not close up well will leak, it won't hold its shape and it all ends up just BAD. I waited for 4 months before mine got semi-dry and when I tried to move it, it all slid and I ended up having to start all over posing it. In the end, it managed to make the trash in one piece and that was all it was good for. Stick with a pack and fill if you are thinking of a fill method.

I'd think silicone would work...

This response submitted by G on 7/31/04 at 1:12 PM. ( . ) 141.153.140.150

then again.....for a small snake. It'll dry quicker

buy snake venom

This response submitted by Nikolay on 8/1/04 at 6:00 AM. ( asklepi@abv.bg ) 212.39.71.97

Dear Sir/madam
Offer to By snake venom;
Please send to me information about kinds of snakes venom
and its living places in the world.
Please send certifikate. Tell me your price for (per) one gram.

NIKOLAY NIKOLOV

export of live reptiles,insects,amphibians,birds,mammals

This response submitted by John Urasa on 9/15/04 at 2:21 AM. ( john_urasa@yahoo.se ) 66.110.19.126

We are experienced International Exporters and can handle small and larger shipments of live/dead Millipedes, scorpion, mantid, centipedes, beetles, cricket, taranturas spirds and live Birds, reptiles, animals and other species from Tanzania, East Africa.Our motto is prompt and timely execution of impending orders from our esteemed foreign Importers geared for our customers satisfaction.We therefore call upon only serious customers(Importers)to place orders or enquiries from our quality species

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu