Two questions

Submitted by Asher on 8/1/04 at 12:34 PM. ( asherdym@charter.net ) 68.116.62.142

I am ordering the forms and the eyes for the rattlesnakes that I just skinned out and had a couple questions.

#1 - I am looking at ordering the eyes from Van Dykes they are chestnut color slit pupil, I have tried to look at the eyes on the snakes I just skinned but really could not tell the eye color and the Breakthrough manual does not say.
#2 - I have heard that after mounting the snake painting is not really neccessary but to use WD-40 or armorall to bring out the colors. The rattlesnakes that I have are Western Diamondbacks and they had kind of a dull color to begin with. Will either of these methods yield the same results?

Just want to get all the supplies that I need rather than waiting and ordering in pieces.

Thank You
Asher

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

About those eyes

This response submitted by Joey Holmes on 8/1/04 at 1:26 PM. ( JPHolmes345@aol.com ) 24.197.123.182

Asher,

There are so many different eye colors and pupil types out there! What is the species you are working on?

I suggest you make full use reference materials available. Get some good color pictures of the species you are working on. Internet, reptile books, etc. This will help.

Good luck,

Joey Holmes

Western Diamondbacks

This response submitted by Asher on 8/1/04 at 1:31 PM. ( asherdym@charter.net ) 68.116.62.142

They are Western Diamondbacks. I have looked at reference pictures and I believe that the dark chestnut colors with the split pupils are the closest thing I can find so far. Although the eyes that I am seeing in some of the pictures almost look like they have a green tint to them but again I can't really tell.

Asher

That should be a good pick...

This response submitted by Joey on 8/1/04 at 4:51 PM. ( ) 24.197.123.182

....for Western Diamondbacks. There may be some (Western Diamondback) competition eyes on the market that you may wish to look at sometime.

As far as finishing goes, some will vigorously defend the idea of painting and some will strongly support WD-40.

Good luck,

Joey Holmes

Asher

This response submitted by wetnwild on 8/1/04 at 6:23 PM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

If you lose any of the epidermal layer and then lose the color significantly, it will have to be repainted because you cannot enhance what is missing. as for the eyes i like the white banded competition eyes. they are a little tricky to set right but look errific. Get some good reference as to depending on the line of sight the white will show or not show
Tom

Thanks Guys

This response submitted by Asher on 8/1/04 at 6:38 PM. ( asherdym@charter.net ) 68.116.62.142

Thanks for the insight to both of you ... Tom you mentioned the white band competition eyes, do you recommend a supplier to get them from? As far as the coloration they have good color it seems that they have a touch of salmon (light pink) tint to them. The colors are kind of dull but the markings are destinct. Maybe they sat in the sun to long while they were alive .. LOL!

Asher

Snake eyes

This response submitted by wetnwild on 8/1/04 at 9:07 PM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Will differ slightly with each snake depending on their location and habitat. the eyes tend to blend in with the skin color and markings. Some timber rattlers are green, and some black and others yellow. You will see that the eyes tint along to blend into the skin. Just stay with the color and marking of the snake you have
Tom

Noonkester

This response submitted by Superpig on 8/3/04 at 5:02 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.75

has the western diamond back rattlesnake eyes (dk brown) with the white scleral band around them. As far as I know they are the only ones right now who carry the correct eyes with the correct color for westerns. Everybody elses has the greenish tint in them like you mentioned earlier, even Tohicken.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu