dumb snake tanning question

Submitted by kevin on 8/2/04 at 10:41 AM. ( ) 209.142.170.107

I am fairly new to taxidermy, and have only been mounting birds for the last two years as a hobby. This morning a friend brought in a huge timber rattler. He asked me if I wanted to mount it but it has no head. I told him that I would try to tan it out and that is about all I could do since it had no head. Now for the dumb question. I know a dead snake can be dangerous but, is there anything I should know about a headless one. I plan to buy some snake tan from Van Dykes and simply follow the directions. I already know the answer to the dumb question just need a little reassurance bc I am A liitle paranoid.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

it is ok

This response submitted by Joe V. on 8/2/04 at 11:07 AM. ( ) 63.241.157.113

A dead rattler can bite up to a half hour after it is dead. After a half hour you need to make sure you don't poke yourself on the fangs. Without a head your preety safe. A rattler has a poison vien in it so skin it with rubber gloves on and you will be fine. it is the poison in the mouth sakes that you need to worry about but since that is gone no worries.

Unless Your Snake is named Cecil

This response submitted by Tony Finazzo on 8/2/04 at 12:16 PM. ( ) 198.81.26.38

It can't bite or talk out the back end. No head no danger. Seriously, make sure and scrape every bit of fat off the skin. It is sometimes hard to see. It wont let the tan penetrate. A tea spoon works great for scraping.
Tony

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu