Fish Filler

Submitted by Asher on 8/6/04 at 11:14 AM. ( atdymoke@charter.net ) 68.116.62.142

I have read the Breakthrough reptile taxidermy book about 5 times now, and I have watched Tom's video a couple times and have a question about using the "filler" method on snakes. Rather than purchasing a commercial manniken couldn't you build an armature
using a couple of wires, sew the snake tail up about 2-3" and start filling and continue to sew as you go until you get the head at which point you would have a commercial head attached to the armature. The book does not talk about this but if you tanned your skin shouldn't this work?

Asher

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Asher

This response submitted by wetnwild on 8/6/04 at 11:47 AM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

My friend Evelyn Mills of texas who by the way won a first palce ribbon at the Nationals this year( hoorah) mounts her snakes climbing through antlers in the way you describe. i am sure if you e-mail her at taxidermyranch@aol.com, she would be more than happy to share her experise with you. she also has a few arcticles on using this method at the taxidrermy reference site. Just food for thought!

Thanks Tom

This response submitted by Asher on 8/6/04 at 11:54 AM. ( asherdym@charter.net ) 68.116.62.142

Thanks Again Tom, I'll e-mail her and see what she has ... by the way I sent you another e-mail back on that cobra.

Asher

fish filler?

This response submitted by mike on 8/6/04 at 11:57 AM. ( ) 64.233.135.63

I guess we are talking about fish filler?

Mike

This response submitted by Asher on 8/6/04 at 12:00 PM. ( ) 68.116.62.142

The fish filler is how I'll be doing a croc here in a couple of weeks and got to thinking why it wouldn't work for snakes.

Asher

Asher

This response submitted by mike on 8/6/04 at 12:44 PM. ( ) 64.233.135.63

Asher will you be building an armature for the croc also, or just use straight filler?

Mike

This response submitted by Asher on 8/6/04 at 12:50 PM. ( asherdym@charter.net ) 68.116.62.142

I will use an armature for the croc. It's a small croc 31" and will be posed in and agressive pose legs out head up so I'll need the extra support. I will also place a small block of wood in the belly area as I fill it so that I have something to attach it to the base.

Asher

You guys crack me up!

This response submitted by JL on 8/7/04 at 4:44 PM. ( wmlures@metro2000.net ) 216.177.1.133

We were mounting things this way 50 years ago, then came the foam bodies.....and now back to the old way. Gotta love it....LOL

JL

This response submitted by wetnwild on 8/7/04 at 8:13 PM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

I saw the snake you mounted, you should take lessons from these guys LOL

Export of live Reptiles,Insects,Mammals,Birds,Frogs

This response submitted by John Urasa on 8/10/04 at 3:37 AM. ( John_urasa@yahoo.se ) 64.86.47.254

We are experienced International Exporters and can handle small and larger shipments of live/dead Millipedes,scorpion,mantid,centipedes,beetles,cricket,taranturas spirds and live Birds,reptiles,animals and other species from Tanzania, East Africa.Our motto is prompt and timely execution of impending orders from our esteemed foreign Importers geared for our customers satisfaction.We therefore call upon only serious customers(Importers)to place orders or enquiries from our quality species stock.Thanks

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu