Burmese Python skeleton

Submitted by Mike Neff on 8/20/04 at 5:37 PM. ( ) 206.40.122.13

Hello,
I was just asked by a customer if a skeletal mount could be done on a 15' snake.
I personally don't want to tackle something like this but would appreciate any suggestions, reference material options or warnings to avoid such requests all together.
I'm new to the industry and haven't done much more than see pictures of skeleton mounts.
Thanks for your time.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Sure can

This response submitted by wetnwild on 8/20/04 at 7:23 PM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Jay at Skulls Unlimited is working on one as we speak. He has done quite a few and they are exceptional. Call them at 1-800-659-skulls. It will run you around 4 grand!

Doing one now...

This response submitted by Raven on 8/20/04 at 7:52 PM. ( Raven@trillium-hills.com ) 24.150.166.254

I'm working on one now. They are expensive no matter how you look at it. The one I am doing is being reproduced so that I can make several of them, cast in various materials. The time and cost to mold hundreds of these bones is phenomenal, I've been working on it for almost two years now! The materials cost is the biggest limiting factor to doing a reproduction one.. I'm about $2,000 into the project so far, out of pocket, JUST in molding materials costs. A colleague from here has the skeleton on loan to me, I'm not doing it as a contract, so that eliminates labor *whew - thank goodness!*.

If you want a true skeletal mount of one done however and don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, email if you like as I am also very well versed in making skeletal mounts (that and mold making are actually my full time day job). It won't be as expensive as Skulls Unlimited, but it won't be cheap either as again, it is a very labour intensive procedure no matter how you approach it. You *can* do it yourself, there are online articles on how to prep the skeleton etc.. but I REALLY don't advise this. Too many thing can go wrong if you aren't used to dealing with osteological materials and know how bones articulate properly.

try it

This response submitted by thug on 11/29/04 at 3:14 PM. ( ) 65.121.37.225

your a woman you should tlakle this thang how will you lern if you dont try

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu