Turtle shell smell (stink) removal

Submitted by FroggyfromOGF on 8/22/04 at 11:49 AM. ( willbuild14u@aol.com ) 152.163.253.9

Hi all,

First time poster here...I've enjoyed browsing the site and have found a lot of good info, but haven't seen anything specifically regarding my question.
My son and I have decided to keep and preserve some of the larger turtle shells (snapper)that we have accumulated this season. All fleshing has been done using the borax treatment, but they still have a strong odor to them.
I'll revisit the site often and if there is ever something I can contribute to the site, I will do so.

Thanks for any help,
Froggy

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Not done yet

This response submitted by wetnwild on 8/22/04 at 1:21 PM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

If they still smell, then you left meat behind. Did you remove the bridgework containg the spine and all the nerves and blood vesseld inside along the center of the upper shell? Also along the edge where you take them apart, there is a lot of meat under the overhang on each side. Double check!

Thanks for responding

This response submitted by FroggyfromOGF on 8/23/04 at 2:16 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.76

[quote]bridgework containg the spine and all the nerves and blood vesseld inside along the center of the upper shell[/quote]
Does this mean removing the bone structure on the top of the shell? and if so..will that diminish the structural integrity of the shell?

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu