turtle shell found how do i clean and sterilize

Submitted by john deupree on 8/23/04 at 2:25 PM. ( ) 4.8.36.157

i recently was walking in the woods and came across a rather large turtle shell how do i clean and sterilize

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

first off

This response submitted by wetnwild on 8/26/04 at 8:26 AM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Make sure it is a turtle that is not protected in your area. If it is OK, then scrape off as much material as possible, and then soak it in a borax water solution to soften the material that is left. Keep scarping till clean, and then use borax and heavily coat the inside of the shell to fix. After a week or so, remove the borax and dust clean. Wash in a bacteriacide or soak in methanol for a day to kill all mold and bacteria, and then wipe clean and seal
Tom

What do I seal a turtle shell with?

This response submitted by Chris on 8/29/04 at 6:22 PM. ( elmo_cris@hotmail.com ) 205.200.57.69

I recently found a large turlte shell and would like to clean and protect it. What do you suggest I seal it with after it is cleaned?

sealing is easy

This response submitted by Jeremy on 11/27/04 at 12:02 AM. ( jbarnes88@hotmail.com ) 216.227.27.31

Chris,
I use reagular ol' polyurathane. or you could also use a clear coat arosol spray. Put about two coats on there if desired, however one will do. Sand the first coat with fine grain sandpaper, very, very lightly, then apply second coat.

-Deer Slayer

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu