large insects

Submitted by tyrel on 8/27/04 at 8:01 PM. ( ) 24.108.14.155

can anybody give me some tips on preserving large, softer insects such as macleys spectre stick insects and large mantids, with out having them shrivel up? will i have to kill them or can i let them die of old age?

thanks

-tyrel-

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Not an expert but,

This response submitted by PJ on 8/30/04 at 3:41 PM. ( plubner@juno.com ) 63.124.127.118

when I've done insects before I have put them in film canisters and put them in the freezer for a day. Next day, I thaw them and pin them out in the pose I want on a small piece of styrofoam. Then I pop the whole thing into a protected shelf of my freezer and forget about it for 4-6 months. When I am ready, I take it out of the freezer, remove the pins and put a coat of protectant sealer over it which also helps to keep the legs, antennea, etc. from falling off. If that happens, I just superglue them back in place. Its not a perfect science, but it has worked for me with insects and small shellfish.
PJ

export of live reptiles,insects,amphibians,birds,mammals

This response submitted by John Urasa on 9/15/04 at 2:11 AM. ( john_urasa@yahoo.se ) 66.110.19.126

We are experienced International Exporters and can handle small and larger shipments of live/dead Millipedes, scorpion, mantid, centipedes, beetles, cricket, taranturas spirds and live Birds, reptiles, animals and other species from Tanzania, East Africa.Our motto is prompt and timely execution of impending orders from our esteemed foreign Importers geared for our customers satisfaction.We therefore call upon only serious customers(Importers)to place orders or enquiries from our quality species

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu