Smell from croc head

Submitted by Paul on 9/15/04 at 12:42 PM. ( ppoklinkowski@infoblvd.net ) 216.42.67.22

Has anyone encountered a dead animal smell from the head of a croc after it has been mounted it was tanned using alum. A few others were tanned the same way and mounted without problems in the past. This one seems to have have a lingering smell. The croc is 14' and mounted. Can I inject a deoderizer and or strong tanning solution to help kill this smell? Could it be the bone marrow? Any info would be a help. I checked the search but could not find this problem. Thanks Paul

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Only thing I could think of....

This response submitted by Evelyn MIlls on 9/15/04 at 2:33 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.75

is that the head was not cleaned out good enough and some meat remained inside of the head. Even though the croc was tanned this could cause some smell down the road. I believe the smell probably will dissapate eventually, but could cause insects to be attracted to it.

Unfortunatley I don't have a solution to the smell problem since it is a reptile and it is almost impossible to fix anything on them once they are hard and dry. I don't think you could get a needle through that hide now.

concentrated alum tan

This response submitted by Paul on 10/15/04 at 2:35 PM. ( ) 216.42.67.146

We injected the concentrated alum tan mixed with industrial deoderizer in different areas of the head and after two days it was perfect no smell and just a little airbrushing then were finsihed. Thanks for the responce. Hope someone else can use this info. Paul

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu