How to restore an older snake skin

Submitted by John on 9/1/04 at 7:05 AM. ( ) 68.119.17.192

Hello,
I have a question that doesn't seem to have been asked on here before, though I could be wrong. I purchased a large walking staff about 5 years ago from a renaissance festival. This staff had a White cobra Skin mounted on the top. When I purchased it, they told me to use vaseline to keep it from drying out, so I did. It seemed to be working fine, however I'm a smoker and I've noticed a yellowing on the skin. I'm assuming this to be from the smoke. I was wondering if you could tell me how to strip the old vaseline off of it in order to restore it to the brilliant white that it used to be. I've though of many ways to do this, but I don't want to destroy the skin. I've since began covering it to avoid further damage, but need to remove the damage that has been done. please help.

Thank you in advance.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

well

This response submitted by wetnwild on 9/1/04 at 9:33 AM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

If the skin is white, then it has been bleached or stained so you have to be careful what you use on the vaseline as it may discolor the skin or wipe off whatever colring they used to dye it. I would try a mild degreaser like you would to wash vaseline off your hands. Chances are the skin is pretty much saturated with it so no ill effects to getting the skin wet will be a problem. If you succeed, then dry the skin, and give it a good coat of glycerin or other reptile conditioner commonly found in shoe stores

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu