Snapping Turtle Shell

Submitted by Rob Pillatus on 9/2/04 at 1:38 PM. ( ) 66.59.177.66

A few weeks ago I caught and cleaned a good size snapping turtle. Now that all the meat is off, I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with:

1) I've heard that using borax will try out the shell and make it not smell. Where can I buy borax?

2) The outside of the shell has a fair amount of algea on it. Are there any products or techniques for removing it without damaging the shell?

3) I've heard I should seal the shell after it is dry. What sealer should I use?

Thanks,
-R

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

borax

This response submitted by wetnwild on 9/2/04 at 2:02 PM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Is called 20 mule team borax, and it can be found in the laundry detergent isle of any supermarket. As for the algae, it can be removed with a soft bristle brush or iff you are really carefull a pressure washer, but do not let it get under the scute edges, go from front to back, but recommend thre brush and a little elbow work instead. When complete and ry, you can seal with polyurethane

What product contains Borax?

This response submitted by Rob Pillatus on 9/13/04 at 11:13 AM. ( ) 66.59.177.66

I checked the detergent isle of my local supermarket, but no product listed borax as an ingredient. Would any one be able to suply a brand name that I could use? For instance, does Tide contain it?

Thanks.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu