Question on mounting a python for ....Tom Voyer and others

Submitted by MichelleW on 9/3/04 at 4:04 PM. ( blacktail21@hotmail.com ) 209.214.64.32

Tom,

I had a lady call me and ask me if I could mount a python for her. Problem is she said it is only 12" long. She might be interested in just having it tanned and felt backing put on it. In your opinion is it worth the time to try and mount it or should I tell her to tan it with the felt backing. Thanks for your time.

MichelleW

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

All depends

This response submitted by wetnwild on 9/3/04 at 4:10 PM. ( voyer1@aol.com ) 24.128.109.191

If I were to mount one that small, i would cast the head, and then skin it out and flesh as usual.Then cut off the opriginal head and keep for painting reference. Roll out a hot dog shape out of culpall and roll it to the same size , shape and preportions as original snake. Pose it and let it dry overnight. Next day afix the cast head and skin mount on the sculpall form as usual. For a snake that size i would charge about 150.00. Or, as suggested you could tan it, but seeing as small constrictors are a bitch to skin out the head, tell her it may havre to be headless

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu