Banded King

Submitted by Kevin on 9/4/04 at 12:08 AM. ( ) 66.69.218.126

hey just got a banded king snake hes great! I named him Elvis and hes been feeding perfectly. Though my parents dont seem to like the 2 - 5 ft length. So they are thinking of giving it away. Is there a way to keep my snake around 3 ft without letting it die on me? Will it have to grow up to 5 ft? Please any thing could help.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Snakes

This response submitted by wetnwild on 9/4/04 at 7:12 AM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Seldom reach their full length capabilities in captivity. It is also common thought among herps that the tank size also has a lot to do with it. The smaller the tank , the size and growth reduction takes effect. For a snake that size, if kept in a 20-30 gallon aquarium, its size should stay dwarfed. If it were to thrive in a 100 gallon tank, then size would icrease. It all depends on the amount you feed it also, just like humans. Some people power feed pythons and such for gtreater size, but it also diminishes its health. regularly feeding on an every two week basis should keep it healthy yet control its growth rate.

About that king.......

This response submitted by Joey P. Holmes on 9/4/04 at 8:30 AM. ( jpholmes345@aol.com ) 24.197.123.182

Kevin,

Your local pet store should have some great captive-care books about Kingsnakes. After looking through those, your parents may relax.

You can also learn a lot on a website called KINGSNAKE.COM They have great forums, where people ask questions and others offer answers. Care-sheets, photo-gallery, and classifieds are also there to help.

Good luck with the snake, but be considerate of your parents and their feelings also.

Joey Holmes

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu