tanning a rattlesnake

Submitted by don on 9/23/04 at 10:55 PM. ( ) 66.196.4.15

i have never tanned a rattlesnake before. i have the Rittels snake tan kit to do it with but i need help with the proper steps in performing this task. also, are the scales left on or taken off for a board mount?

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

steps

This response submitted by wetnwild on 9/24/04 at 8:22 AM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Are as follows.
1. Skin and flesh snake skin
2. pickle the skin by way of instructions
3. Tan the skin by way of instructions
4. remove snake neutralize and then descale it using a soft brass bristle brush
5. Iol the skin after tacking down pere instructionsd
6. Reapplky iol aftre first absorbed and leave a nother couple of days
7. Remove and then do with it what you want

Why descale?

This response submitted by Evelyn on 9/24/04 at 10:31 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.76

I never descale my snakes for board mounts. There is no need for that, and it makes for a nicer looking skin. Just my opinion.

what's the difference?

This response submitted by valdo on 9/24/04 at 11:01 AM. ( ) 66.136.109.2

I completed a snake board mount for my cousin a few weeks ago using the rittles snake tan kit and a little advice from tom. However, what I still don't understand completely is precisely that, descaling. My snake skin was almost perfect, but when they talk about descaling, do they mean they actually take the scales off? What would be left? I'm guessing it might be the outside covering of the scales, but I'm not sure. They always advice you not to scrape the meat off in the wrong direction because the scales might fall off, yet you can get a wire brush and scrape them off after tanning, how's that. I never could get a hold of a video from Tom, maybe that will answer my question.

Well

This response submitted by wetnwild on 9/24/04 at 12:38 PM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

If you do not decide to seal the skin afterwards, over time the outer covering of each scale will flake off. That is why for garment use, wallets, booits, ect ect, they are descaled. You may lose a lot of scales after the pickling stage so it is best to just finish what will eventually happen anyways. And you are correct, it is not the actual scale you are removing, it is the scale covering

thanks for the assistance guys

This response submitted by don on 10/4/04 at 4:17 PM. ( kyhilbil@vvm.com ) 66.196.3.17

I appreciate your responses guys. you have been very helpful.

Method of Tanning for Timber Rattler mounts

This response submitted by T Kemmerlin on 10/13/04 at 9:44 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.76

I have read on these forums different types of preserving snakes for mounts. Some borax, some dry preservative, some tanning. If you are tanning, and I think Evelyn mentioned she did on all her reptiles, what are the products and their procedure?I have had great success with eastern Diamond backs with an old formula from Ben Hayden, although, it did nopt work at all on the timber rattlers. Any isuggestions would be appreciated, Thanks, Tommy

Easy Tanning

This response submitted by Jerry Rider Catfish Noodler on 11/11/04 at 10:11 PM. ( 1noodler@msn.com ) 63.157.94.163

Half Glycerin Half Rubbing Alcohol. Its easy and effective.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu