Rattle snake scale loose?

Submitted by Lou on 10/4/04 at 1:25 PM. ( ljabellman@hotmail.com ) 207.199.2.34

I just finished mounting a Rattle snake for myself and I'm very frustrated! The problem if the scales are falling out all over the snake. Here's the process I followed:

1.Frozen the snake to kill it
2.THawed the snake a few weeks later

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Sorry..... Here's the rest

This response submitted by Lou on 10/4/04 at 1:29 PM. ( ) 207.199.2.34

3. Skinned it out and fleshed good
4. Washed it with Bowman's Degressing solution
5. Tanned it with Bowman's Tan
6. Put the snake on a form

I can't understand what I did wrong...? ANyway, all the scales are falling off and i'm not sure what to do? I think the scales are too far gone by now so I was wondering if I try to airbrush the snake the original color will it look stupid (I know this may depend on my airbrush skills :-) )?

Might have been starting to shed......

This response submitted by Hip-O Taxidermy on 10/4/04 at 2:04 PM. ( hipo@direcway.com ) 66.82.9.27

If the snake was getting close to shedding it's skin before you took it, that might be your problem. I like Rittles for tanning snake skins.

dont tan it

This response submitted by wetnwild on 10/4/04 at 2:42 PM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

i do not like tanning snake skins for mounts for this reason. It is probably because it was getting ready to shed althoiugh it would be peelings you would get and not individual scale losses. I use Rittels to tan wall hangers and loss of scales agter tanning is a problem when tanning them for full body mounts. Use Borax!

So does that mean it's not the scales and may be skin?

This response submitted by Lou on 10/4/04 at 3:01 PM. ( ljabellman@hotmail.com ) 207.199.2.34

So this may be just the skin coming off? I thought it looked king of thin to be scales?

I never had a problem with tanning snakes

This response submitted by Evelyn on 10/4/04 at 3:05 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.74

it sounds more like what Hip O Taxidermy said. The snake had started or was very close to shedding. Reptiles are very tricky when it comes to having a good skin. The best thing is to freeze the snake about a week after it has freshly shed. This way you are ensured you start with a prime skin. That's how I treat all my snakes.

Sorry Tom to disagree with you on the tanning. I tan all my snakes, lizards, other reptiles and never had a problem with any skin. In matter of fact since I am tanning everything the skins come out a lot better then before. And they keep their color (unless the darn thing was too close to shedding to begin with).

Painting?

This response submitted by Lou on 10/4/04 at 3:16 PM. ( ljabellman@hotmail.com ) 207.199.2.34

So would painting it help or should I pitch the whole thing?

snake scales

This response submitted by wetnwild on 10/4/04 at 4:04 PM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

When you dexcribed iut as all the scales falling out, this would be because of the tan. If it was sheding it pieces like a sunburn peeling, it would be as evelyn and the rest stated as a snake that was ready to shed. Best way to paint is to paint with an airbrush the shading that is necessary to blend the background color, then individually paint each scale to give the pattern with a paint brush

morphology snakes

This response submitted by sahar on 1/31/05 at 2:08 PM. ( sahar_rezvan@yahoo.com ) 194.225.105.79

hi
i need a morphological of snakes .
thanks a lot

no taning

This response submitted by FANLOP on 2/15/05 at 7:59 PM. ( ) 69.193.93.187

do not tan the snake

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu