Timber Rattler Tan for mounting

Submitted by TKemmerlin on 10/14/04 at 9:55 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.201

I read in a post a while back about mounting snakes with different preservatives. Tom uses borax, but Evelyn said she tanned her reptiles. I have tanned and mounted Eastern Diamond backs with a Ben Hayden "recipe", but it did not work well with the timber rattlers. Evelyn, what is your method and how does it work for timber rattlers? Thanks Tommy

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Snake tan

This response submitted by Evelyn on 10/15/04 at 9:46 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.76

well Tommy, I use the WASCO reptile true tan for all of my reptiles without exception. This tan is great and really does a wonderful job on the skins. I have yet to come across any rattler(in matter any snake) that would have epidermis loss or scale loss. I attribute it mostly to the tan.

Of course you have to have a prime skin to start out with. Reptile skins are a little tricky in this aspect, as you just don't know what you have most the times until you skin and flesh it(unless you have an enclosure like we do and you have control on when to freeze the snakes).

I tried many different solutions and techniques during the past seven years and I can honestly say that, for me, the True Tan from WASCO is the best there is for reptiles skins when it comes to have them mounted up. All you need is the tan and skin relaxer, not the oil for mounting reptile skins.

Thanks, I'll give a try

This response submitted by T Kemmerlin on 10/15/04 at 9:17 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.71

Thanks Evelyn I'll order some next week and give it a try. Tommy

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu