Cottonmouth Snakes

Submitted by Chad on 11/30/04 at 10:14 PM. ( ) 198.70.77.97

I would like some information on skinning out and tanning a cottonmouth snake. We live on the water and usually kill quite a few of these when they are in our boats. Is it the same way to skin and tan a cottonmouth as a rattler? I would like to tan one to make into a hatband, and am planning on using Rittel's tan. Any help and information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Cottonmouth

This response submitted by JD on 12/1/04 at 7:09 AM. ( ) 216.31.72.69

I've skinned my share of snakes but never a Cottonmouth. To me a snake is a snake. Do it the same way you would any other snake.
Be real careful about the venom and stuff. If you're just making a hat band then cut the head off straight away and get rid of the business end of it. Nobody wants to go to the hospital for a hatband.

I pesonally use the Rittel kit for snakes when I'm making a craft item but not when I'm mounting. The instuctions call for vinegar for the pickle...It's tough on the nose but gets the job done. Nice leather product when you're done. There's a bit of color fade on the markings but thats to be expected. For me, I'm happy with the results and recommend the product.

A word of caution. If you never skinned a venomous snake before put the bad boy in the freezer, sealed in a bag and clearly marked of course, (frozen venom is still venom) and check out the Breakthrough Reptile Manual. It goes over the whole thing, skinning, tanning, mounting, crafts. Good reading! Good luck!

If you know how to

This response submitted by Evelyn on 12/1/04 at 8:49 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.70

to do rattlers, then you know how to do cottonmouth.

Thanks

This response submitted by Chad on 12/1/04 at 11:15 PM. ( ) 198.70.77.97

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Are you sure

This response submitted by cur on 12/4/04 at 3:25 AM. ( ) 4.226.57.163

That the snakes are cottonmouths? It would take a BIG cottonmouth, or any watersnake, for that matter to climb into any boat larger than a kayak. Water snakes, and cottonmouths are not normally aboreal by nature and design. water snakes (Neroidea) are more adept at climbing than are cottonmouths, and even they would have difficulty breaching the side of most boats from the water surface, unless the transom was very low to the water.

Yes, i'm sure

This response submitted by Chad on 12/6/04 at 11:45 PM. ( ) 198.70.77.97

that they are cottonmouths. I do not know where you live, but they do climb into our boats. Think about this-they climb in from the stern of the boat, which is lower than any other part of the boat. We have killed them anywhere from one foot to 7 feet in the boat. Trust me, they can get into boats.

I agree

This response submitted by PJ on 12/9/04 at 4:04 PM. ( plubner@juno.com ) 63.124.127.99

Living in the bayou areas of South Texas, I can attest to the fact that those dang cottonmouths crawl in boats like its expected of them. They also are good about hanging off of low moss-covered branches or vines like trumpets and drop in just for the heck of it. I've had 4-5 footers in, out and over our boat at times when the water is rising and they are looking for high ground. Even had a chance to visit with an albino on two different occassions -- and the visit took place in my boat when one crawled in and the other dropped in. Traveling the bayous and mineral springs in the part of Texas I come from, you always got to keep an eye out for the pesky cottonmouths. And on land you best watch for the dang rattlers and copperheads 'cause they are no better about staying out of your way on land than the cottonmouths are in the water.

Cottonmouth sonsabitches

This response submitted by Waldo Rubb on 1/19/05 at 10:55 PM. ( ) 68.203.142.48

Bit me in the can when I sat in my boat......

Need some Info

This response submitted by Andrew on 2/24/05 at 10:41 PM. ( Drewmur81@yahoo.com ) 24.11.46.212

I'm taking a backpacking trip to an Island off the coast of Georgia, and there's a high population of cotton mouth on the island, I dont know much about snakes, let alone cottonmouth. should I bring a snake bite kit or take any other type of percaution?
Any info would help. Thanks

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu