LOTS of rattlesnakes!

Submitted by Bill on 11/28/04 at 11:29 PM. ( wildlifepreservestaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 4.225.173.200

I have been over run with rattlesnakes lately. Anyone else having this problem? I would think they'd be hybernating (sp) by now, but apparently not, my wife walked out the back door to see what the dogs were barking at (9pm) and there was a 2-1/2 ft'r right there by her car, I had to waste it by shooting him cause I had my shorts on and my hook was in the shop but I never dreamed I'd see em this late. They must be on the move, I see em all the time by my shop (200 yds from the house) but this is the first time I have ever seen one come to the house. I have a huge stack of cedar posts (to cut into driftwood pieces) could they be attracted to that?

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

congratulations

This response submitted by cur on 11/28/04 at 11:49 PM. ( ) 4.253.67.177

You built the snakes a winter home.

The snakes are congregating right now

This response submitted by Evelyn on 11/29/04 at 10:17 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.70

they are getting ready to hibernate and are making their way to their den. Snakes use the same den year in and year out so you have a den close by to where the snakes are crawling right now. October through December and February to April is the time to where you see many snakes together in one spot due to the den up.

It is quite possible that the cedar stack is a den, but they could be using anything for a den. Armadillo holes, space open underneath the studio or house, rockcrevice deep enough to protect against weather. Lokk for anything that will hold several snakes, is on somewhat higher ground to protect the den against flooding and is wind protected. Start moving that cedarpile if you don't want the snakes to spend the winter with you. They'll move on and find another place.

Thanks

This response submitted by Bill on 11/29/04 at 9:29 PM. ( ) 4.226.151.2

I never considered the cedar pile might be a den, I guess I should move it. I do know they den under the barn. The barn has been here over 100 years and there must be several dozen if not hundreds under there every winter. I thought something "weird" was happening but I guess I enticed them by piling the cedar so close to the house.

Bill you just answered your own question

This response submitted by Evelyn on 11/30/04 at 10:12 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.70

You already have an established den under the barn as you just said. The cedar pile did not entice them at all, they are going back to their established den. If you want to get rid of them you need to find a way to close up the entry to the den.

I think it is too late for this season since most of them will already be in the den and it would be doom for them if you'd close it up now. Next summer you should seal up the entry to it and that should be pretty much it. They'd still be heading your way to get into the den that fall, but if they can't enter it anymore they will find another suitable home to den up in.

Snake Problems

This response submitted by Jerry Catfish Rider on 1/6/05 at 8:13 AM. ( 1Noodler@msn.com ) 63.233.7.18

I had A big Copperhead problem around my Lake Cabin. I spent A couple of times in the hospitle from being tagged by them. I remembered my Grandmother having me sprinkle Seven Dust around the chicken house to keep the snakes out. It Doesnt hurt the snakes,but it does keep them away.I cant even find a snake where I put the seven. Just reapply it about twice a year. It will work.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu