Now what do I do?

Submitted by Roger on 12/2/04 at 10:52 AM. ( ) 12.10.248.50

I've got my rattler skinned, fleshed and now soaking in a plastic, refrigerated container with a 16oz solution of 50/50 Iso Alcohol and Glyc.....Now what?

Please advise,

Roger

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Roger, now that you've already screwed the pooch....

This response submitted by George on 12/2/04 at 10:56 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.69

...what do you want us to tell you. I don't know what your solution was intending to accomplish, but it's certainly not tanning.

My advice

This response submitted by Evelyn on 12/2/04 at 11:20 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.69

start all over with a fresh snake and do it right this time. Read up on the subject before you attempt it. Knowledge beforehand is always better then messing up the project afterwards.

Well

This response submitted by cur on 12/2/04 at 11:34 AM. ( ) 4.226.228.226

I have no clue where you found that solution reference, but the only use for an alcohol/glycerine mix is for "tanning" flat skins. That old tanning solution was, as I recall, one part formaldehyde, eight parts glycerin and four parts isopropyl alcohol by volume.

The solution was intended to be brushed onto a snake skin that had been pinned out flat and was used to preserve skins for laminating to leather for belts or as hatbands.

I don't know how long you have had the skin in that goop, but there may be hope for salvation. First of all, both components in your solution are water soluable. Since there was no formalin in your mix, the cells should not be fixed and their walls may be intact with integrity.

Remove the skin from the solution. Place,flesh side down, between two layers of newspaper sheets to soak off excess oil. Use isopropyl alcohol to wet the skin and wipe it down from head to tail. Leave the snake lying on newspaper while you do this repeatedly. After several washdowns, reverse the skin and repeat the procedure on the flesh side. DO NOT use water.

What you do next depends on what you wish to do with the skin. Snake skins are pretty resilient, so yours may be salvaged. Tell me what you want to do. Remember, NO water, NO salt at this time. When you are finished wiping down the skin, roll it up and place it in papertowels and into a plastic bag and refrigerate.....DO NOT FREEZE.

Response to Evelyn

This response submitted by Roger on 12/6/04 at 5:22 PM. ( ) 12.10.248.50

Thanks for the 'JACKASS' response.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu